Help on loading for Rem 260

I agree with Butch Lambert regarding the muzzle brake. The anticipated
blast brings on a flinch as fast as the bite. There is another reason, and that
is that the gun may not shoot to the same point of impact, or even the same load when its on. I also don't think this caliber action etc is up to what
you have in mind , in spite of all your efforts

g2fan, that's a lot of good info.

This is a hunting rifle for a girl with a #3 sporter barrel, a lot lighter barrel than I would have gotten for myself. It may not shoot quilte as tight as I hope, I guess that's to be seen when I start building loads.

I plan to load 120 - 130 grain bullets for hunting and will build a 140 grain load just to see how it does at long ranges

The only time the muzzle break will be on it is when bench shooting and she will be shooting 100 grain bullets for that. Last sunday we tried a friends 6mm that has a muzzle break. With the electronic muffs I got it's very pleasant to shoot, very little noise. It did not have a recoil pad and she still didn't like the kick but she did very well shooting it.

I'm fairly sure with the muzzle break and that light of a 24" barrel, points of impact will different with and without the break. We will always reset the scope for her hunting rounds after target practice. She will probably be shooting the 222 at targets more than the the 260 anyway. She will shoot the 260 enough to keep comfortable with it and when practicing 300 - 600 yd shots.

I built a very light mauser in 260 for my Grandson. I loaded him 100 rds of Hornady 100s with 30 gr 4895 and they shoot nice and clean with little recoil. Under 1" moa with a surplus swedish mauser barrel. I didn't cronograph the load but I would say they were around 2,500 fps. Good enough for whitetail at 100 yds from a blind.

Back