Help me understand measuring and ogive?

LorenC

I see tools with a hollow point to measure and/or set bullets and/or cartidges to a length. The hollow fits over the tip so as not to use a mangled, inconsistent tip to measure from. With all the bullet shapes there are is this type of tool just for relative use between the same run of bullets? I can't see how comparing seating depths, for example my current chore, with several bullets can be done. Isn't the point where the bullets touching the lands going to be a different distance from this tool for every shape bullet there is? Unless the tool contacts at the bullet at exact same point as the barrel it won't work that way? LorenC

Ok, while doing the duty just now my mind cleared a bit of the confusion in this and I came up with this: There is no way to measure the actual seating depth of a loaded cartridge to be able to compare rounds, without a piece of the same barrel with a second chamber cut with the same reamer, is there?

I edited my edit also. ;)

Last edited:
Essentially. you seem to have got it :)

That said, measurements taken with the various "ogive tools" that set on or near where the bullet will touch the lands ARE STILL RELEVANT and useful... to use them you seat a bullet or 5 using the chamber of the rifle and THEN measure with the ogive tool and write down as reference.

FYI, the tool makes it somewhat complicated and not needed. Take a fired case and ding the end of it a bit to hold a bullet in a semi firm slip fit. Chamber and carefully extract the round until you get familiar with the process and you get a consistent OAL. You now have a basis for seating all bullets of that type. It's pretty easy once you do it a few times.

I have a followup subject to my earlier question and I guess I'll just post it here.

I have a Ruger Varmint, 26" brushed SS barrel, not the grayed out one but the early model of the same version, in .243 that I want to get back to playing at longer range. I started on this kick several months ago and life turned me right back around again. At that time I'd ordered 50 Win. cases to load and get my feel for shooting back after so many years of being away, and 100 Lapua .308 Match cases(4PH7217) to get a bit more serious with later.

All the shooting I've done in the past has been without much organization and data collecting, but I've done real well with the pitiful equipment I've had. I want this turn to change that. I want to get started the right direction as far and making proper measurements and noting relevant data that will be of future use.

More to the immediate point, I want to learn the proper steps to select the right components and load correctly to get as good of accuracy as I could expect from the rig. I know full well I most likely won't see match grade performance, and I'm fine with that. The goal at this time is learning to pick the bullets and loads, and set them up right, learn to prep the cases properly(a huge part of my disappointment in my previous shooting), and be confident that I'm on a course for a reason. Not willy nilly doing things half ass'ed to see what the outcome is.

SO, I'm looking for some serious competitors' advice on first steps and in what order do things that need to be done as far as getting the load configured. At this point making a load that is as good as I can make is the focus.

Please don't suggest switching guns as this has already been decided. I haven't decided on going to a better scope yet, and yes I understand good optics are of utmost importance. Being able to play is more important than not being able to and wishing I had better equipment.
Thanks, Loren.

Well I'll take a shot at this. Probably bed your gun, get a reasonable tool to turn your necks, and a halfway decent set of comp type dies with either a micrometer type seater or a straight line seater. If it's still within budget by the best grade bullets you can justify.

I need to go thru my stuff again to see what I've got. Pretty sure I have wilson dies with mic seater in there. Wilson trimmer, with turner attachment, which I'm not cool with. I'm ordering a Sinclair premium turner now. I assume Bergers are just fine for your advice on bullets? Am I good on turning necks to an almost cleanup state since it's a factory chamber?

Actually, I just thought, using the Lapua brass will mean it thickens when necked down. Do I need to turn it to normal thickness then also?

Last edited:
I need to go thru my stuff again to see what I've got. Pretty sure I have wilson dies with mic seater in there. Wilson trimmer, with turner attachment, which I'm not cool with. I'm ordering a Sinclair premium turner now. I assume Bergers are just fine for your advice on bullets? Am I good on turning necks to an almost cleanup state since it's a factory chamber?

Actually, I just thought, using the Lapua brass will mean it thickens when necked down. Do I need to turn it to normal thickness then also?

Trim them if they thicken but just a light cleanup on the high spots should be good.

I'll also listen to suggestions on who is/are the best smith(s) for a bedding/checkout on this MkII Ruger varmint.

Back