Help me select the first bullets....

B

Big_John

This is my first post. I need some help finding the first bullets to shoot out of a couple of new guns.

Dad raised me shooting and reloading, mostly for hunting....but I am now, completely hooked on Bench and Long Range Shooting. I have dialed in and am loving my Savage 12 in .223. It is a composite stock, stainless fluted, "one hole maker" with Sierra 69's. It is just a hoot to shoot out to 500-600 yards. But I have been wanting to go longer, so I decided to get two guns.....

Remington Model 700 Long Range in a 7mm Remington Magnum, 9.125 Twist, 26" Heavy, Timney Elite Gold 8oz
This is a gun I would like to try and get to 1 Mile with......

Remington Model 700 SPS Varmint in a .243 Winchester, 9.125 Twist, 26" Heavy, Trigger and Stock soon to be replaced
This gun will allow me to compete locally in a 600-1,200 yard monthly shoot. I bought the 7RM first...only to find I can't use it in this competition.

I felt that both guns would be a good foundation for years to come and would shoot decent for an over the counter fire stick. As time goes by, they will get better stocks, a better barrel and other goodies... but I want to shoot out, these factory barrels with the best accuracy possible and have a blast doing it.

I don't want to have to spend $300-$400 on several boxes of bullets trying to find a straight flyer, so I would love suggestions for both. I want to push the envelope as far as I can with the highest BC....but keep the pill stabilized.

For the 7RM, I am thinking 175gr or heavier. I was given a box of Sierra MK 175's, but haven't loaded or shot them yet. I wonder if the Berger 180's will stabilize.....or even heavier.

For the 243, I am thinking either a Berger in a 95 or 105gr. From what I have read, the 95 should shoot well. But if the 105 will stabilize....I would rather do that. I am also a little unclear on the Bergers.... which exact bullet I should buy.

Thanks for the suggestions and help.....

I'lll use this thread to report on my range data as the months go by......

A quick look at the Berger website recomendations for bullets/twist rate.
The .243 with a 9 twist they recomend the 90 gr. If you go any bigger you should have an 8 twist.
In the 7mm bullet they state, for the 9 twist, using their 168 gr vld.
These are just recommendations. You may find that a larger bullet will stabilize, but will it really? I usually try and stick with the bullet makers.

I wasn't aware of the Berger calculator.....which includes elevation. I shoot between 6-8,000 feet, which allows me to shoot longer bullets....or at least the math says I can.

Tell ya though....after running a lot of these bullets through several calculators....that 95gr VLD is super impressive, even against the 105's, etc.

Eating my words again. Just got back from Sportsman Warehouse and they only had the 105 and 115 VLD's.....no 95's. So I went ahead and purchased a box of the 105 VDL's.

I will try to load some up in the next couple of days and shoot them in a week.

Back