Help Getting Started

You have a fine 600 yd. BR range in Memphis if you desire to shoot long range. Check IBS under ranges and it will give you the info……jim

Rather than spend money on a factory rifle, take a look at Bob White's Shooter's Corner web site. He has more benchrest rifles listed here for sale than anyone that I know. Just because it's not the popular setup, doesn't mean that it won't be competitive. The Shooter's Corner Some of them are fairly older style benchrest rifles, some more modern. What more modern means is that they are more popular currently. If you're around benchrest very long you'll see that it's a pretty faddy sport. In that if someone wins with X action, Y stock and Z barrel, pretty soon everyone is shooting a rifle that looks like X, Y, Z. Certainly doesn't mean that the older actions and stocks won't shoot. They just aren't the in thing currently. One of my best shooting rifles is a CPS SHV action bedded into an old style McMillan stock. It was originally built in 1985 and will shoot along side the current popular rifles. I have a 200 yard target on my wall that was shot with it in 1987 at the Okie Shooters range that measured .135". Some of those old rifles will shoot.

Mike that is a real good idea.
Bob White, Stan Buchtel and George Kelbly hold a record. They have been to every Super Shoot.
Anyway, we got a new guy at WWCCA. And Ron says "Bob White helped me out real good".

I must confess, the reason for every component of my left handed BAT action rifle is simply that the builder(Russ Haydon) used BAT actions and recommended every other component, except the Kelbly HCFB stock, which was my choice. The choice to have it built for 222 Remington was a collaborative decision between Russ and me. If I could have bought a similar left handed rifle used, only needing a barrel, I would have done so. I also might have saved a lot of money, especially considering I decided organized competition is not my cup of tea.

There are always fine rifles available in the BRC Classifieds. I suggest you look there, for options.

Look for club shoots that are more for fun than anything else.

A perfect example of go. look see, then spend.

I must confess, the reason for every component of my left handed BAT action rifle is simply that the builder(Russ Haydon) used BAT actions and recommended every other component, except the Kelbly HCFB stock, which was my choice. The choice to have it built for 222 Remington was a collaborative decision between Russ and me. If I could have bought a similar left handed rifle used, only needing a barrel, I would have done so. I also might have saved a lot of money, especially considering I decided organized competition is not my cup of tea.

There are always fine rifles available in the BRC Classifieds. I suggest you look there, for options.

Back