help! computer problem with gunbroker.com

ScottD

Ok - i use firefox - comcast cable modem, wireless-G router.

I cannot get gunbroker.com site to load. it starts and does the header and a couple of lines then just sits there. It says "transferring data from gunbroker.com"

It just never goes beyond that - and that seems to be the only site.

the strange part is that if i use a proxy server - the page pops right up - no problem.

where is the problem?

If i switch over to MS internet explorer it locks up there too.

Scott

I'm no expert by no means and very well may be wrong, but I would think it's either an issue with your isp server or a firewall setting if you are able to access it through a proxy server.

Take that with a grain of salt though....

Well?

I am beginning to think comcast is doing it - maybe they don't like guns.

I turned off my firewall and Mcafee - still won't access - only through a proxy server.

Anybody else have Comcast as their ISP?

Scott

Scott,

I have a comcast account using one of their cable modems. If your modem is somewhat similar to mine, perhaps this will work.

On the back of my modem, there is a very small hole. You have to look hard to find it. If you find a small hole, and especially if it says reset near it in small print, then stick a toothpick in it to depress the button inside. If yours is like this, the modem will go through a reset. You don't need to turn power off or anything else, just depress button.

If yours is not like this, then I would call 1800comcast and ask for their advice.

Hope this has been helpful.

longshooter

ScottD

I have had Comcast for several years and have no problems with any site. So, no, I do not think Comcast is doing anything to limit where you can browse.

Can you get to Auction Arms or Guns America?? Just to test the theory.

yeah both of those work - i talked to comcast - they can't figure it out either.

they have me reloading firefox, flash, java....or maybe they just got tired of helping me?

funny part is now that i have done that - i can't get to there help line anymore either.

Scott

hmmmm

i got in touch with technical service at comcast and they could not access the site either. (without using a proxy server)

they are investigating on their end.

Scott

Scott,

I have Comcast, use their Thomson modem, my Linksys wireless router, and FireFox V3. First clear the cache in FireFox (Tools -> Options -> Network). Then shut down your computer, cold power off and unplug from the power strip. Shut down, cold power off both your modem and router if you use one. Wait a few minutes then start up your modem, wait until all the synchronizing is complete, start up your router, wait until the DHCP is done, and then start up your computer and try to connect via FireFox.

Firefox problems

I actually downloaded Firefox on my computer last night and it gave me nothing but problems. I couldn't watch videos that were on Youtube or anything else for that matter. My opinion is that Firefox is crap!

Problem fixed

It was a problem between comcast and gunbroker - comcast fixed it on their end and now everything works.

Scott

I actually downloaded Firefox on my computer last night and it gave me nothing but problems. I couldn't watch videos that were on Youtube or anything else for that matter. My opinion is that Firefox is crap!

I have been using Firefox for over a year now and much prefer it over Internet Explorer. However there are a few sites that work better with Internet Explorer... then I just switch to that if needed.

Back