Hello from Pittsburgh, PA ....

Pappy

Without writing a novel, I am converting to centerfire from 8 years of airgunning .... I see you laughing. The two have many similarities which should allow my transition to have a quicker learning curve. Expense is one similarity, my air rifle, scope, and air tank racked me for over $5k, along with $2k if incidentals. My discipline is bench rest shooting ..... I'm picking up a Tikka T3x in .223, next week, to start out this journey, and this week I just purchased a Kimber Micro 9 Crimson Trace to putz with at the range. Picking up a bunch of assorted .223 match grade weights and brands to chrony and figure out the "magic" factory load ammo. Would love to join a club near me, that reaches out to at least 300 yards, but all the "good" ones are maxed out with members or have long waiting lists. All for now, my first post, just wanted to say hey!

Pappy / Allan

Where are located in Pittsburgh? There are some very active cubs around there...... I'm east of Pittsburgh...... jim

Allen, look at McKeesport sportsman... indoor ranges, out door rifle to 300 Skeet and Trap ranges. They have pistol ranges to 50 yds. they shoot 22 IR 50/50 also and CMP......... very active club and they shoot all winter...... jim

Thanks for the comebacks .....

Wilbur ... yes I do intend on participating in competitions, don't know how competitive I'll be. I'll go for that all stock division.

Jim1K ... I live North of Pittsburgh about 14 miles .... Shaler Twp. I thought McKeesport was .22LR max, for some reason? I'll check again, thanks.

Butch ... Morgantown, WV is 1 1/2 hours South of my front door.

Pappy

Hello,

be vewy vewy careful, it's a slippery slope :)

LOL ... I certainly understand what your sayin' :) ..... When I began airgunning, I would read forums and see members spending $5k on an air rifle. I would say to myself ... what kind of idiot does that? Well, this kind almost did ..... I didn't buy a $5k custom, but I spent close to that on production rifles, then modded them. Already dropping about $3k to get back into CF and handguns.

Pappy

We shoot 100, 200 and 300 yards here at Logans Ferry Sportsmans club. No serious competition here, but it is a good place to shoot. It's just on the border of Plum and New Kensington.

https://www.logansferrysportsmens.com/

It's a bit of a ride for you from Shaler, but not too bad.

Jim, I assume, I have sent an email to LFSC applying for membership. Facility looks great, thank you for the heads-up. It's about 35 minutes from my front door, not bad at all. Not as convenient as walking out into my back yard, in my PJ's, and shoot 50 yard air rifle. :)

Thanks again ....
Pappy

Jim, I assume, I have sent an email to LFSC applying for membership. Facility looks great, thank you for the heads-up. It's about 35 minutes from my front door, not bad at all. Not as convenient as walking out into my back yard, in my PJ's, and shoot 50 yard air rifle. :)

Thanks again ....
Pappy

No, but I can, but I prefer not to in the cold weather. This is a place you can do it all and all year long...... I'll be in the back yard at 60 degrees...... jim

Thanks again ....
Pappy

Pappy, Watch Jim! He is a silver tongued devil. Jim is a topnotch shooter, but don't let him know that I said so.

Thanks again ....
Pappy

Sounds good. The range can be tricky. 100 yards to the left, 200 down in the middle and 300 to the right. I haven't figured out how to erect 100 foot poles for my wind flags.

Attachments

• toughrange.jpg
    toughrange.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 193
LOL ... I certainly understand what your sayin' :) ..... When I began airgunning, I would read forums and see members spending $5k on an air rifle. I would say to myself ... what kind of idiot does that? Well, this kind almost did ..... I didn't buy a $5k custom, but I spent close to that on production rifles, then modded them. Already dropping about $3k to get back into CF and handguns.

Pappy

I actually was 99% to pull the trigger on a brand-new in-stock Blue laminated RAW with 2 barrels 177 and 30....gettin' in line for a compressor and the whole shebang.....but the guy never got back to me with a final price and I let it slide.

I ended up buying a pile of QB78's and 79's including some tricked ones from Archer, LH, RH, repeaters etc for my kids...... got a 50lb CO2 tank for them and their paintball stuff and am having fun with that mess. for wayyy less money. Can racing has taken on a whole new dimension, funnest air rifles ever. "Seem" to be as accurate as the pellets allow.....

And I gave one to my dad and he's been SLAUGHTERING the jays and squeerrills on his birdfeeders.

I actually was 99% to pull the trigger on a brand-new in-stock Blue laminated RAW with 2 barrels 177 and 30....gettin' in line for a compressor and the whole shebang.....but the guy never got back to me with a final price and I let it slide.

I ended up buying a pile of QB78's and 79's including some tricked ones from Archer, LH, RH, repeaters etc for my kids...... got a 50lb CO2 tank for them and their paintball stuff and am having fun with that mess. for wayyy less money. Can racing has taken on a whole new dimension, funnest air rifles ever. "Seem" to be as accurate as the pellets allow.....

And I gave one to my dad and he's been SLAUGHTERING the jays and squeerrills on his birdfeeders.

They can be a lot of fun, especially being "backyard" friendly. That RAW and compressor would have set you back at least $5k. .177 are good to 50 yards, if your getting under a dime at 50, 5 shot groups, then your ok. Out to 100 the 30 cal will buck the wind better .... should get under a quarter at 100 with 5 shots. The skirts on the pellets are what kill "true" accuracy, especially at 100, mess with the bc too much. Enjoy.

Pappy

Back