Hearing on the line

adamsgt

Jerry Adams
I had some severe problems hearing the commands on the line at the rattlesnake this last weekend. I'm seeking recommendations on amplified hearing protections.

Ask a neighbor

for help with range commands would be my recommendation. I helped a guy at the E/W Match. Worked out fine.

Later
Dave

Last edited:
Hearing help

I had some severe problems hearing the commands on the line at the rattlesnake this last weekend. I'm seeking recommendations on amplified hearing protections.

Take a look at the Walkers line of electronic muffs. I to had a problem with range commands. The volume is adjustable so as to hear the range commands and they go quiet when a shot is fired.

for help with range commands would be my recommendation. I helped a guy at the E/W Match. Worked out fine.

Later
Dave

Well, I watched the guy next to me and started my timer when he started to insert his bolt. No way to help me hear the "Cease Fire".

Well, I watched the guy next to me and started my timer when he started to insert his bolt. No way to help me hear the "Cease Fire".

Why wouldn't you ask the guy next to you to give you a signal when the commence fire is announced???? Set your clock allowing for a time cushion for the cease fire.. This ain't rocket science.

Last edited:
Well, some folks might be uncomfortable asking someone else to be their "ears".

I am hard of hearing myself. I use Howard Leight Impact Sport electronic muffs along with foam plugs. With the volume turned up I can hear range commands and conversations OK but I turn them down when the shooting starts.

Being safe on a shooting range is more important than being "uncomfortable." I didn't hesitate one second when a guy asked me to help him. He was deaf as a stump and safety of others was important to him.. That's what we adult shooters do, help our fellow competitors when asked.

Last edited:
Hard at hearing shooters

At a local match we had a shooter that was extremely hard of hearing, he removed his hearing aids and put in plugs and muffs. I would be a ref at a lot of the matches and otherwise helped out the range director. I would make point of talking to the guys on the neighboring benches of this shooter to let them know of the situation and if they could please help out.

It's not the 'Commence fire" or normal "Cease fire" after the match time expired that was my worry, he could use his clock for that. It was what could happen in case of an emergency cease fire that I worried most about. I never had a problem when I asked for some help watching out for him, was always told by whoever I asked, that they would be very happy to help and would look out for the deaf shooter.

thanks,
Scott

Hard of hearing, another old Dude

Scott,I once belonged to a Gun Club where the Range Officer purposely used a 50 watt mega phone(Bull Horn) to issue range commands.
That thing was loud. It would wake up Joe Biden:D. Ive been to Benchrest matches, where in my opinion, the speaker system was not loud enough. I wear hearing aids when I'm not at the Rifle Range. I have had trouble hearing commands. I use my timer at the "commence Fire" command, when I remember to start it.:D, Oh yeah, its hell getting old.:(

If your hearing loss is to the point where you can't hear sirens and car horns with your car windows rolled up, your hearing impairment is an obvious safety issue. To accommodate the "Hard of hearing" shooters like Jerry,me and others, It may be a good idea to explore the possibility of installing some of those loudspeakers. Just thinking.

Glenn

One club I was in used an air horn for cease fire commands. Another range had flashing red lights set up for cease fires.

Being safe on a shooting range is more important than being "uncomfortable." I didn't hesitate one second when a guy asked me to help him. He was deaf as a stump and safety of others was important to him.. That's what we adult shooters do, help our fellow competitors when asked.

ooo-RUHH! ruhh ruhh :)

agreed.

I'll happily bring the guy in from his car, lift the guy onto his chair, pinch him when to shoot and when to stop and bring him back to his car. And I'd expect my fellow man to be the same.

and vtvarmint I also hear your side but part of BEING an adult is being able to trust those around you to be equally adults. In other words "asking" need not be an imposition. All help ain't welfare...

Range Safety

Range safety is the primary responsibility of the facility. I have been at BR matches and Pistol matches where shots were fired after emergency cease fire commands were given. The excuse has always been, the shooter didn’t hear the cease fire command. We’re talking a matter of split seconds following the command. You can’t expect a fellow shooter to warn another competitor, with a hearing disability, in time to prevent these accidents from occurring. All Competitors are focused on the target and may not be conditioned to alerting a neighbor shooter of emergency range commands. This is a scary and dangerous situation that could also be very costly to the Range.

An investment in a quality warning system in any shooting sport, is the most direct approach to limiting the possibilities of costly accidents.

Glenn

Sordin?

I got these high dollar hearing protection today and am not getting much in the way of help. I set up my TV at a normal listening level and turned on the headset.. I found that I only get about 1/3 the volume at max setting as I do with them off my head. I'll have to check the return policy, don't want to get stuck with these.

Range safety is the primary responsibility of the facility. I have been at BR matches and Pistol matches where shots were fired after emergency cease fire commands were given. The excuse has always been, the shooter didn’t hear the cease fire command. We’re talking a matter of split seconds following the command. You can’t expect a fellow shooter to warn another competitor, with a hearing disability, in time to prevent these accidents from occurring. All Competitors are focused on the target and may not be conditioned to alerting a neighbor shooter of emergency range commands. This is a scary and dangerous situation that could also be very costly to the Range.

An investment in a quality warning system in any shooting sport, is the most direct approach to limiting the possibilities of costly accidents.

Glenn

A cheap air horn like boats use would work fine.

Hearing on the Line

A cheap air horn like boats use would work fine.

Yes....Or it could be something as simple as turning the volume up on the existing Range PA system. Some of these systems have been in place many years. An affordable fix could be ,replacing the outdoor loudspeakers. Four of the posters in this thread complain of having problems hearing range commands. All Im saying is, an ounce of prevention is worth>>>>>>>

Glenn

I use Howard Leight Impact Sport electronic muffs. Been using them for years. Low profile for rifles. Auto shut off. I am on my 2nd pair. Wore out the first set.

Back