Having difficulty aligning your Chrony?

Well for the last three trips to the range I have not received a reading, and it has been too cold to try to figure out why.
But since I shoot over my chrony every time I was stumped as to why I was unable to get readings.
Everything seemed to be lined up as usual. Hummm

Well the thought struck me that I had a small Maglight Solitaire flashlight in my box (AAA), and since it is about the same size as a 6PPC cartridge I just stuck it in the chamber. Turned on, and alighned the rifle scope to be on the target exactly.

Going to the Chrony and facing the muzzel ( I saw the light). I sighted down the center line of the chrono and could plainly see I was a couple of inches off. I moved the tripod slightly in line with the muzzel light and started capturing all the shots. FWIW. :D
Centerfire

piece of white paper in the action

look back thru the scope

or, for me, just make sure the bolt's out and the lights are on in the shooting room and I can see thru the bore to the sunny yellow wall at the back of the (warm) room :)

(just braggin')

LOL

al

Assuming you are setting your rifle in a rest and bags, set it up and sight the rifle to the target, just like you were going to shoot. set up your chrony the distance away you want. simply tie a piece of string around the front ring under the scope, and pull it along the top of the barrel through the chrony screens. Adjust as needed, but that string will certainly get things close enough. It don't get no easier.

Lasers

You know those lasers that are used to supposedly sight in with and are incorporated into various shaped cartridges. Pointed at a piece of paper at the chrony and jobs done.
Andy

You know those lasers that are used to supposedly sight in with and are incorporated into various shaped cartridges. Pointed at a piece of paper at the chrony and jobs done.
Andy[/QUOTE
The ones utilizing a bore spud work well too. I`ve been using one for years.

Sun is lower in winter

When the sun is lower in the sky getting good readings becomes more difficult. I bought the LED kit and have had no problems since, regardless of natural lighting. Oh, and I line up the rifle in the bags and then just look back through the chrony and line it up with the scope. It's easy. Bolt out, of course.

Ok this is the cheap and easy way, line your scope up on the target. Now take a fishing hook on a string with a bobber then hang it in the middle of the ski screen about where you want the bullet to go. Then look through the bore,adjust the front, then the back. If you have someone with you, even easier!

Joe Salt

Bobbers are pretty cheap. Chronys not so.:p
I have never bought one. But, have seen 2 get blasted.

Last edited:
Chronographs

You get what you pay for in speed detectors..... I own an Ohler 35p and a Magneto-Speed......even they are touchy.....

G'day.

I use bamboo shish- kebab sticks to hold up my chrony screens. Have not managed to hit them yet though! (Murphy's law?)

* Danny *

Well for the last three trips to the range I have not received a reading, and it has been too cold to try to figure out why.
But since I shoot over my chrony every time I was stumped as to why I was unable to get readings. Everything seemed to be lined up as usual. Hummm

Well the thought struck me that I had a small Maglight Solitaire flashlight in my box (AAA), and since it is about the same size as a 6PPC cartridge I just stuck it in the chamber. Turned on, and alighned the rifle scope to be on the target exactly.

Going to the Chrony and facing the muzzel ( I saw the light). I sighted down the center line of the chrono and could plainly see I was a couple of inches off. I moved the tripod slightly in line with the muzzel light and started capturing all the shots. FWIW. :D Centerfire

Is a picture worth a 1000 words? Click on the attachment. I use a piece of masking tape with the center marked using a black Sharpie. Shoot just below the mark. Keep it simple! :)

Attachments

• Chrony Aide.jpg
    Chrony Aide.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 311
Having diffaculty aligning your crony

I also use a dry line {string] from the rifle thru the screens and adjust the tripod, and top for center and height.

Simple, put the gun on its rests and sight in on the target. Go to the far end of the screens and sight back through the scope!! When you get your eye so you can see through the scope you're there.

Back