Has anyone lathe your bullets.

I am not sure of the exact ballistics, but I think that little cartridge is called a 30 Wagsal and is made from a .243 WSSM shortened to 1.4" which is the maximum legal length for a 30 cal bottle neck pistol cartridge for deer hunting in Illinois.

Gary

I am not sure of the exact ballistics, but I think that little cartridge is called a 30 Wagsal and is made from a .243 WSSM shortened to 1.4" which is the maximum legal length for a 30 cal bottle neck pistol cartridge for deer hunting in Illinois.

Gary

That would be the cartridge in my palm...

I was quoted $2.50 each for 68gr. 6mm bullets. They were long enough to require an 8 twist barrel to stabilize. Most of you guys don't realize just how good our present bullets are. It would take some incredible CNC lathes to duplicate the quality of our present BR bullets.
I have looked at this long and hard.
Butch

Last edited:
I looked up some information that Neil Wagner sent me a couple years ago on the cartridge and the published data says it will push a 165 grain bullet at 2553 fps with 43 grains of TAC powder.

You may get reasonable quality if you were to turn them in a Swiss Lathe, but exceeding carbide die quality custom bullets, is going to be a stretch. There are plenty of people trying to make a buck by turning bullets already. I don't think some small chicom cnc will get the job done. If your really serious in making better bullets, you'll need a REALLY large wallet.

Grinding them and lapping is an option, but, whats in your wallet?

Any CNC that is using ball screws, driven by electric motors, will have some error. Although very minor, it will still be there. It's noticeable when cutting threads and especially when cutting a taper or a radius. Even though they will look pretty to the naked eye there will be errors in one to the next. In the real world it usually is acceptable, but when your talking 250,000 rpm and .2 moa it will matter.

I don't think anyone would consider a lathe an acceptable means for achieving such tight tolerances.

Pick a caliber and weight and we can hold the diameter to .000005", the weight to .05 grains, and the finish to 5 RMS.

The salesperson who sold him that equipment must have been wearing a really nice pair of pants.

Jeepers Creepers, it just gets Deeper and Deeper!!!!

Shore is refreshing though to slide over to another forum and see what I'm (NOT!) missing eh!

LOL

al

I came across a German monolithic bullet researcher some years back name of Lutz Moeller. He runs a sniper team in some competition in Europe & seems to win year in year out.

Here's a bit about him: http://airbornecombatengineer.typepad.com/airborne_combat_engineer/2005/01/interesting_rus.html

This is (one of) his web site(s), I think: http://lutz-moeller-jagd.de/English/408-Chey-Tac.htm

SOME DAY..... one of these days one of these heroes will show up at a benchrest match and show us underpriviledged yahoos where the bear shat in the buckwheat eh.....

(There, let's see what our moderators do with shat :) :) :) last time I used this term Jackie pulled it out and buggered the post beyond comprehension!!)

So here shortly we may all be wondering just WHAT the bear did WHERE!

Anyways, there are all sorts of winnings going on in all sorts of competitions but until this stuff works in an ACCURACY competition it won't pique me a'tall.

LOL

al

I came across a German monolithic bullet researcher some years back name of Lutz Moeller. He runs a sniper team in some competition in Europe & seems to win year in year out.

Here's a bit about him: http://airbornecombatengineer.typepad.com/airborne_combat_engineer/2005/01/interesting_rus.html

This is (one of) his web site(s), I think: http://lutz-moeller-jagd.de/English/408-Chey-Tac.htm

OMG That is the bullet in my head! That .338 Lapua Mag. .95BC. The butt of the bullet needs a dimple and then elongated groves down the side! Awwwww sweetness!

OMG That is the bullet in my head! That .338 Lapua Mag. .95BC. The butt of the bullet needs a dimple and then elongated groves down the side! Awwwww sweetness!

Why the dimple?

My thought would be the exact opposite because while a dimple takes away weight (SD/BC) a bump OUT would do what the boattail does, add mass near the CM.

al

al

Why the dimple?

My thought would be the exact opposite because while a dimple takes away weight (SD/BC) a bump OUT would do what the boattail does, add mass near the CM.

al

al

Hi Al,

Valid point, but I believe the dimple would act like a skirt in an air pellet and help push the bullet forward more from the center than from the sides. I also think the dimple will help in flight like a golf ball so it has two purposes. I like boat tails but I also think it acts like a wedge from the pressure inside the barrel.

Keep in mind this is such a very little time from the point of primer fired and bullet out of the barrel, but I do believe that dimple has a lot of possibilities. I had drawn a picture of the size of dimple in a previous post. There are two Nosler bullets then my design in the middle. Once the bullet comes out of the barrel, having that dimple will stabilize the bullet, so I think. I am sure there will be plenty of people saying no. But with that stabilization, might have a bit more distance and accuracy.

I dunno, maybe I am just thinking out of the box a bit too much since it is so easy and cheaper to just purchase bullets than make them.

Many Thanks,

Jason Lumetta
ExtremeGunCare

Turned projectiles

Hi, I've experimented with this. B.C. is much higher than the standard projectile with same weight bullet and powder charge . I am still trying to figure this out. I will resume when the weather breaks.
Thanks John

www.21stcenturyshooting.com

Has anyone tried turning out of Brass instead of copper?

I dunno if brass is too light as one post mentioned. But Nickel (0.322) is extremely close to the same density as Copper (0.323) in 1" cube. My idea of lathe a bullet was to elongate it, a 165 grams is still a 165 grams no matter what it is made of.

Back