Hart action sleeve

gaintwist

I acquired an old heavy 1.75" SN#3xx Hart action with the 6" sleeve ahead of the recoil lug. I didn't want to force things without asking if someone knew how the sleeve was attached....will it simply just unscrew? Thanks in advance.
-lige

I have seen one of those, but never lay hands on it. I bet I know where it still is too. Anyway, I'm curious too.

Gaintwist,

Why don't you call Hart's? They can also tell you when it was made. Please post what you find out.

I have the same action about 100 higher serial number, and I've wonder the same thing. Not enough to call, though. My rifle is pure stock Hart 1970's vintage, wood stock, un-bedded, Hart trigger, 222Mag, with a Lyman 20X (boosted to 30x by Wally Siebert) on it.

Regards, Ron

Hart sleeve

The sleeve covers the bbl ahead of the recoil lug. I will contact Hart and find out what I can and post here. If any of you have an original stock for this vintage BR rifle please get back to me. I am looking to restore this one...btw, mine has 308 and 222 bolts. What fun!
-lige

I misread the part about the sleeve on your action. Butch Lambert might have a stock that would work with it as he wound up with some of Red Cornelison's stocks. More than likely though most of the stocks used on those actions were one of a kind stocks and are probably pretty similar to the stock that George Kelbly shoots on his unlimited rifle. I've seen quite a few of the smaller Hart actions that had a sleeve that screwed onto the front of the action have the sleeve turned down and faced off even with the receiver diameter and receiver face then drilled and tapped for scope bases.

Last edited:
Hart #4 action

I finally got in touch with Wally Hart. He said he made that action for his dad. Wally said that the action body is threaded and the sleeve is screwed to it and holds the recoil lug in place. Now, if I can just find a stock for the #4.
-lige

Can you post a picture of this? All this talk of a barrel sleeve which holds the recoil lug has me picturing a Savage with a good ol' barrel nut.

Thanks

pictures

mac,
I'll try to post some pictures this weekend.

The "sleeve" is part of the action & does not touch the barrel. It screws onto the action & extends the bedding surface in front of the receiver. I've never had mine apart, but I think the receiver is threaded outside for the sleeve, and inside for the barrel.

If you don't look closely for the joint, you might not notice that the whole thing is not just a one piece receiver.

The Stuart Otteson book "Benchrest Actions & Triggers" has a section & pictures of the Hart #1 action light varmint action, but what we're talking about here is #1A heavy varmint action.

Regards, Ron

Last night after I posted the question I googled it. I found an image and got an idea of what one looked like.

What the advantage of extending the bedding surface?

Mac,
The simple answer is that people thought greater bedding area would make for more stable bedding and be an advantage. I'm not so sure they were wrong, but plenty of rifles with smaller actions shoot well. Also if the bedding job is a glue-in, does a bit more area really matter?

Remember these actions were designed in the wood stock days, before glue-in's were common. My Hart 1A rifle is just the way it came out of Hart & it's not even glass bedded.
Regards, Ron

Back