Harrison M300 Drawbar

dokey

I'm looking for a Drawbar and 5C collets for my Harrison M300 lathe. Aside from Harrison are there any other make of drawbar that will work?

Royal products should have what you need, it's just a function of spindle length/ID and the taper of your headstock. The M300 is/was a very popular lathe and they should know exactly what you need.

I made one for my lathe. It uses the external threads of the collet and I set it up with a spider on the outboard end to help support 7/8 rod when I'm making dies and bolt knobs. The spider comes in handy to hold my home made nozzle for pumping oil through dies while I'm reaming them too.
I can post a few pics some time if you'd like to see it. They are simple to make, at least it was for my lathe.

I made one for my lathe. It uses the external threads of the collet and I set it up with a spider on the outboard end to help support 7/8 rod when I'm making dies and bolt knobs. The spider comes in handy to hold my home made nozzle for pumping oil through dies while I'm reaming them too.
I can post a few pics some time if you'd like to see it. They are simple to make, at least it was for my lathe.

Post away, sounds interesting.

The pipe measures 1.072 I.d. I cut internal threads to fit the 5c collet then made a bushing to fit the I.d. of my spindle and the o.d. of the pipe.

I made the hand wheel bushing and the spider to slip fit the pipe and took it to an old man down the road to get it all tig welded together.

That hand wheel is a drop off a 4.5" shaft I found laying around the saw at a big shop that I occasionally buy materials from it cleaned up just under 7/8" thick. The scale on the o.d. doesn't look to pretty but it has about the same texture as stippling on the grip of a good battle weapon so I left it as it is to help get a grip when I need to draw it down tight.

I use this on my old Grizzly lathe. I wanted a collet closer but the lever type setup wouldn't allow me to start with a 3' stick and work it down the way I wanted. Grizzlys parts list for the collet closer showed the Morse taper to C5 adaptor and that is all I needed to buy from the manufacturer.

After throwing this thing together and using it a while I decided it works so good I wouldn't want any other type of collet closer. It's plenty good enough for the lathe its on but when I build another for my big machine I will make the bushing and spider from one piece and omit the hand wheel, all I needed was few holes around the circumference to fit the pin of a spanner wrench.

Attachments

• _20150725_211228.jpg
    _20150725_211228.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 337
  • _20150725_211251.jpg
    _20150725_211251.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 369
  • _20150725_211311.jpg
    _20150725_211311.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 390
  • _20150725_210716.jpg
    _20150725_210716.jpg