Harrison Group Match Results

AJ300MAG

Al Walewski
Here's the results from a 100 yard group Match held at the Harrison's Sportsmen's Club today (Saturday August 2nd.)

In a combined LV/HV Class:

1st Brian Albee........................... .222" Agg.
2nd. Kurt Krug............................ .241" Agg.
3rd. Dick Wright......................... .287" Agg.

Match winners include Kurt Krug (.194", .144"), Jeff Aberegg (.233"), and Brian Albee ( (.194", .165")

In Factoty Class:
1st. Jeff Aberegg......................... .449" Agg.
2nd. Dudley Pierce....................... .526" Agg
3rd. Jim Guinn............................. .842" Agg

Congratulations to Brian and Jeff on their win, along with the match winners. Today was one of those days where you left the range scratching your head wondering.............................................................................:eek:

Full results and equipment list are in the attachment.

Attachments

• Harrison Group_Aug2.pdf
    56.9 KB · Views: 231
Thanks, Al...

Steve told me early on that the temperature, humidity and density altitude were just about the same, within two numbers. Said he'd never seen anything like it.

The aggs were all higher than normal and it was a truly nice day.

Anyway, the above is my excuse. Although it might be global warming or those pesky politicians.;)

Dick

Congrats to Brian Kurt and Dick and to Jeff Dudley and Jim

Dick

The conversation at lunch was interesting to say the least. I wonder if there's someone out there who can explain to us mortals what causes the issues we've seen on days like today.

Have you ever heard the theory of the base of a bullet being in a vacuum durring the firing process?

Never heard that and...

my initial thought is that theory is probably the result of too much time on one's hands, too much keyboard time and too little at the range or, maybe, childhood abuse and some really bad drugs.

The bullet in the case is atop powder and air and is sealed. When the gun is fired the powder and air turns to fire and a lot of pressure and the bullet goes out of the barrel. When the bullet exits the barrel there has to be a lot of turbulence behind it but a vacuum... I don't think so.

I do know that the bullet base must be very pristine and symetrical to achieve rifle accuracy. Whilst the bullet meplat can be and is (on our HP match bullets) kinda irregular, any damage to the bullet base is deadly to accuracy. I grew up around some really good long range shooters. My old deer hunting partner, Larry Rackel, won the Wimbleton Trophy back in 1964. Anyway, these guys were very concerned that the bullet base be undamaged in the reloading process.

I do think that anyone who misses the couple of hours we spend at the bar after our matches is missing a good part of the experience. Where else can you have lots of time to pick the brains of a Super Shoot winner or guys who have HOF points?

Dick

So what...

loading tools and techniques insure the bullet base is seated w/o damage?

Jeff Aberegg

Jeff won factory class Congrats to him

Anybody know what he was shooting? Maybe the T&R?

Scott

Scott,

Jeff had his Rem. 40-X in (I think) .222.

If he brings the Taylor & Robbins, I will bring my Fatso and teach that boy some humility.;)

That's a challenge, Aberegg.

Bob, essentially you use minimal neck tension (compared with normal dies) and insure that the case neck is smooth on the inside. I use moly bullets which make it much easier for a bullet to be seated with no damage. A little common sense here goes a long way.

Dick

Thanks Dick. I asked for the benefit of all.

Sounds like polishing the inside neck is recommended? Also would you also recommend the VLD chamfer tools or is regular chamfering good enuff?

Did I hear at one time that you can even seat a bullet backwards (point into neck) and it will still go into the same hole? Maybe a wife's tale?

Man I'm PO'd. :mad: Can't find my copy of .22 Caliber Varmint Rifles anywhere! Tough getting old and forgetting things!

Bob,

Our normal O.D./I.D. chamfer tools leave small burrs inside the case neck. I always use K & M's 14 deg. reamer to remove same.

Those Landis books are worth a lot of money. Better find it.

Dick

Back