Harrells or RAS AR-15 muzzle breaks/tuners experience?

P

papadetail

Have seen the tuner discussion in the other forums, but was wondering if anyone has experience on an AR-15 with one of the Harrell's or RAS tuner/muzzle breaks specific to the AR platform.

Have built up one with a Lilja M4 Navy profile and after break-in and accuracy testing with out a muzzle break was thinking about one of these two.

Would appreciate any input with those that have had experience using either one of the two. From a configuration standpoint, liking the Harrell's as there are graduation marks provided for coarse and fine adjustment, similar in concept to their rimfire tuners. Harrell's makes both the radially ported and linked break

Thanks

Links provided:

http://harrellsprec.com/index.php/products/tactical-tuner-brake-for-ar15

http://www.bostromgunsmithing.com/Home/Products

Harrells AR-15 Tuner

I built an AR-15 last Fall with a .204R 20" threaded Lilja barrel. I initially tried to find an unported tuner with the proper threads, but after a short internet search was unable to do so. I settled on the Harrells tuner/brake with the side ports. My first test shots were with Hornady 40 gr VMax factory loads. The muzzle blast from the first shots was pretty much able to clear the adjacent benches of any targets or other loose items! Out of respect for my shooting buddies I have temporarily replaced the Harrells tuner with a muzzle attachment that directs all the blast out the front. Much quieter and my buddies are happy again.

I wasn't able to do enough shooting with the tuner to really give it a test, but it did seem to help with accuracy some. I plan to do some more testing when the Spring weather quiets a bit and I'm alone. Good luck with your quest. Vic

I am looking for a 1/2x28 barrel tuner without the muzzle brake.

Does anyone make one?

AR 15

Thanks

Last edited:
AR-15 Tuner

The Lilja 204R barrel is threaded 1/2"-28 TPI like most AR-15's. I've thought about cutting the ported section off in a lathe or even pressing a sleeve on over the ports. Either way I'd be altering the weight of the tuner, which might change the "tunability" considerably. Maybe contacting Harrell's to ask if they would make a tuner without the ports would be the best solution? I now have some shims to change the orientation of the ports from horizontal to vertical. That will direct the muzzle blast away from the other benches at the range, but won't be a acceptable solution in the field. Any ideas appreciated! Vic

The Lilja 204R barrel is threaded 1/2"-28 TPI like most AR-15's. I've thought about cutting the ported section off in a lathe or even pressing a sleeve on over the ports. Either way I'd be altering the weight of the tuner, which might change the "tunability" considerably. Maybe contacting Harrell's to ask if they would make a tuner without the ports would be the best solution? I now have some shims to change the orientation of the ports from horizontal to vertical. That will direct the muzzle blast away from the other benches at the range, but won't be a acceptable solution in the field. Any ideas appreciated! Vic

That's why I was asking the OP what he intends to put it on. IME, a tuner should never be clamped on a centerfire due to the possibility of it slipping. Rimfire rifles typically use a clamp on design.

Either way, I've made several adapters that will allow my tuner to be used on different barrel and/or thread configurations. My cf tuner is threaded .900x32tpi. So, a simple adapter that is 1/2-28 on the ID and 900x32 on the od, will adapt my tuners to your barrel. It's a tad large for a smallish barrel but will function fine like this. Also, mine are 7 ounces as shipped but can be lightened to about 4 ounces if need be, without machining. They are a tuner only, without any porting. Hope this helps.--Mike

Back