Harrells and primers???

Primers

Paul,
I have been shooting Remington Benchrest 7 1/2 primers in all of my 6ppcs for about 3 years. Haven't had a problem with them. An old time Benchrest shooter here locally says he likes them because they don't pierce thru and leave pieces. I am currently shooting Federal 205M's right now as those are the primers that are up for rotation in my primer supply.
Best,

Dan Batko

"Where are we going and why am I in this basket?"

Thanks guys.....I'm being told all are sold out.

I did find some .223/5.56 at a fair price but REALLY need to find some small rifle primers.

Unlike the advice I have always gotten here to stock up, I have just given my biz to my local owned store when needed. I don't reload as much as you guys & have always just bought a brick at a time.

Funny thing is I have been trying to swap even Fed215 primers for some small rifle and have gotten no takers. I still don't know how i ended up with so many mags.....I know some were given to me from pals who got out of shooting but my biggest round is a .280AI and I shoot 210M's.

Just silly....I still find it amusing this happens when the SHTF.

Not worried....I think they will catch up soon.

pf
<><

Thans again for looking out for me.

This sort of thing

happened several years ago and it "Healed Up" in a few months. Once folks find out they can't eat all the componests they have purchased things should even out; they did before. When they do even out, buy a three year supply of the esentials so that next time this happens, and it surely will happen again, you won't be left in the Larch. :)

Paul, if push comes to shove, I'll spare a couple of hundred 205m's.

Anything for a fellow NEOCON!;)

Paul, if push comes to shove, I'll spare a couple of hundred 205m's.

Anything for a fellow NEOCON!;)

Might fine of you amigo....keep them and just help me with a heads up when they touch down at regular prices if you run across any. I hope it won't be too much longer.

I have started shooting M4's with some LEO buddies and my les baer super varmint with the swat guys & it's a little different volume than the ppc / br type shooting I started with. I'm good for a little while with some factory prvi I found but I can reload a really good 75gr hornady for about .30ea with pick up brass.

I'm mostly mad at myself for not listening to you guys. Jackie and others always said to buy at 5k at a time to stay in the same lot but I never competed nor did I think the supply would be this bad.....or you can say I was too cheap.

Again, my guess is all the primers are going in to loaded ammo and then we'll sart seeing them in the 1k boxes pretty soon.

The last batch I loaded was all they had at the gun show and were CCi small rifle magnums over RL15 and 75gr hornady's....dang things shoot pretty good and I didn't even know a magnum small rifle prime was available.

pf
<><

The primer falls through the ram into a 35mm film cannister that you provide and is held in an aluminum bracket at the bottom of the press for that purpose.

FB,
That's a hood press your thinking about, they ask about a Harrell's which is a little different on the machining on the ram,,,,,,,

the wind is my friend,,,,,,,,,,,

DD

Harrell's

Harrell's made two different ram versions of their presses. One has a drop all the through the ram and out the bottom. This is the older style and on the combo press, you can adapt it to use the Hoods primer catch. One the newer models, the spent primers come through the front of the ram part way down. The reason for this was the cost of machining.

Hovis

I have a vivid imagination yet I'm struggling to picture some of the primer catchers. Can you post pictures or make some drawings to share?

Hovis..

"One the newer models, the spent primers come through the front of the ram part way down. The reason for this was the cost of machining."

Can you tell me though - do they exit the ram - above or below the bottom of the press??? ... Thats one thing that really bugged me with my Rockchucker.. was how the primers fell out - above the bottom of the press and all the muck got into the ram.

Ive just ordered a compact - so im really hoping it doesnt do that!

If anyone has a photo.. photos .. much appreciated!!!!

I have a vivid imagination yet I'm struggling to picture some of the primer catchers. Can you post pictures or make some drawings to share?

Picture a garbage can below the press. I drilled mine out, removed the ran from the press and the handle, chucked it in the lathe and drilled from the bottom to the to the existing hole. Now the primer hits the handle. When you move the handle the primer falls.

A note: The press I have is one that Harrell made before he was making them all the time. One of his first. I don't know if he has changed the design since then? First dozen or so, anyway. At the range from the loading table, I don't really care.:)

Can you tell me though - do they exit the ram - above or below the bottom of the press??? ... Thats one thing that really bugged me with my Rockchucker.. was how the primers fell out - above the bottom of the press and all the muck got into the ram

Hate to break it to ya... yer SOL on this one.

I have one, and this is my least favorite thing about it - spent primers get pooped out through a slot about 1" down from the shell holder, spewing spent primer crud every where.

Having moved from Redding M25 & RCBS Partner presses that were similarly uncivilized to a Forster Co-Ax, this really bugs me whenever I use it - spent primers (and all the abrasive crap that comes with 'em) everywhere.

I'm starting to consider finding a machinist that might be willing to take on a task of boring that ram out so I can fit it w/ a piece of tygon tubing like on my Hornady LnL AP.

YMMV,

Monte

Back