Hardened steel, oversized bbl nuts??

alinwa

oft dis'd member
I've been dinking around testing some barrels from new mfgrs....... for some reason several of them offer only 1.2 shanks VS 1.250.

These skinny shanks don't shoulder up to my liking. They kinda' just 'never really stop' and it scares me......I might try nutting some of them even though it kinda' skews my testing.

I've also got 5-6 testing setups currently set up with barrel nuts. I'm still unconvinced, but testing proceeds apace. I'm testing the barrel nut setups on known-quality blanks (Shilen, Bartlein, Krieger, Lilja) These nuts I've been making from "Grade 8" nuts from the hardware store, because factory options won't take the torque I subject them to. It's a pita.

Is anyone making upgraded, stronger and larger 1 1/16X16tpi 1.350 or 1.250 nuts to sell?

I know that Kiff makes them in standard replacement but I want more strength.....

tx

al

Al, Most LV and Sporter barrels have a 1.20 shank, and they seem to shoot just fine. Mine do not have any sense of not stopping when I tighten them, as I have many times when switching barrels. As far as experimenting with barrel nuts goes they are available in several pitches from Southern Precision Rifles in his own style that take his own unique wrench. http://www.bugholes.com/category-s/1859.htm (see page two for the wrench) I have always been interested in the accuracy potential of barrel nuts, and will be interested in your results.

Al, Most LV and Sporter barrels have a 1.20 shank, and they seem to shoot just fine. Mine do not have any sense of not stopping when I tighten them, as I have many times when switching barrels. As far as experimenting with barrel nuts goes they are available in several pitches from Southern Precision Rifles in his own style that take his own unique wrench. http://www.bugholes.com/category-s/1859.htm (see page two for the wrench) I have always been interested in the accuracy potential of barrel nuts, and will be interested in your results.

Tx Boyd....A buddy of mine was just asking me last Saturday if I'd tried the Bugnuts. I have not, and my FFL is on file down there, I guess in the interest of fairness I should try them altho I don't like the weakening cuts and don't know that they're hardened. (Which a simple call would ascertain :) )

Al, what RC hardness are you looking for and at what tensil and yield strength?

I have no idea...... other than "equal to or exceeding the Rem 700 receiver"

I do know that factory Savage and Brownell style "Rem-Nuts" bust at too low torque.

I did get an answer from Bug Nuts and might try one, see if it pops or smears.

The "Grade 8" nuts have been perfectly satisfactory just a pita to make as one-offs on manual equipment. And, I don't yet know how resistant they'll be to corrosion.

Custom nuts!

How many do you want? Why don't you find a local machine shop and give them a drawing and have them made from 4140 HT? Should be a pretty simple job for any shop that has a multi-axis lathe with live milling.

I do know that factory Savage and Brownell style "Rem-Nuts" bust at too low torque.

I did get an answer from Bug Nuts and might try one, see if it pops or smears.

The "Grade 8" nuts have been perfectly satisfactory just a pita to make as one-offs on manual equipment. And, I don't yet know how resistant they'll be to corrosion.

Al, a number of years ago I took a Remington short action over to Lone Star Heat Treating and had the RC tested. It ranged from 28 to 30 RC. Assuming they are machined from ( probably) 4140), that is around 140,000 tensil strength.

If you can't find a shop to do as Gregg suggested, just buy a 1 1/2 inch long Grade 8 bolt from a reputable supplier and use it for your material source. Unless you want to get into some exotic alloys, that is your best bet.

Keep in mind, the term Grade 8 does not designate a specific alloy. It is a specification. Different bolt manufacturers have proprietary alloys that they use to meet the specifications of Grade 8.

If you want a specific alloy, the term B-7 designates 4140 at 120,000 tensil strength. We by B-7 blanks to machine coupling bolts and foundation bolts from.

As for corrosion resistance, Grade 8 s a typical alloy that will rust just like any other Carbon or alloy steel.

How many do you want? Why don't you find a local machine shop and give them a drawing and have them made from 4140 HT? Should be a pretty simple job for any shop that has a multi-axis lathe with live milling.

Because I know all the local shops. And because my wife grew up in a large production shop in northern MI, still owned by her nephew. I could have him run a batch with a phone call. Because any run under, in this case say 1000pc falls into the class of "a favor" :)

I don't want to be beholden to anyone, just buy a few, maybe even a dozen or two.... I am an 07FFL. I prototype and test stuff on a very small scale.

Al, a number of years ago I took a Remington short action over to Lone Star Heat Treating and had the RC tested. It ranged from 28 to 30 RC. Assuming they are machined from ( probably) 4140), that is around 140,000 tensil strength.

If you can't find a shop to do as Gregg suggested, just buy a 1 1/2 inch long Grade 8 bolt from a reputable supplier and use it for your material source. Unless you want to get into some exotic alloys, that is your best bet.

Keep in mind, the term Grade 8 does not designate a specific alloy. It is a specification. Different bolt manufacturers have proprietary alloys that they use to meet the specifications of Grade 8.

If you want a specific alloy, the term B-7 designates 4140 at 120,000 tensil strength. We by B-7 blanks to machine coupling bolts and foundation bolts from.

As for corrosion resistance, Grade 8 s a typical alloy that will rust just like any other Carbon or alloy steel.

Thank You Jackie.

Al, if you are interested, I have a drop that is 4340 at about 34 RC hardness. It was left over from some high tensil studs we made several years back. It is about 1 5/8 diameter, about 5 inches long.

This would be great for your project. Send me a box to put it in, and I will mail it to you.

Al, if you are interested, I have a drop that is 4340 at about 34 RC hardness. It was left over from some high tensil studs we made several years back. It is about 1 5/8 diameter, about 5 inches long.

This would be great for your project. Send me a box to put it in, and I will mail it to you.

I am interested, will get something going.

mailing address pls

Thank You

I have a switch barrel Panda action live varmint rifle.

It does not take all that much torque to align the barrels after changing.

Once the square barrel face barrel is set against the square shoulder of the action the force generated by additional torque has no real purpose beyond stretching and damaging things.

I measured the 'break away' torque after firing a few rounds and tighten to about 90% of that and call it good.
And yes I lube the threads.

I have a switch barrel Panda action live varmint rifle.

It does not take all that much torque to align the barrels after changing.

Once the square barrel face barrel is set against the square shoulder of the action the force generated by additional torque has no real purpose beyond stretching and damaging things.

I measured the 'break away' torque after firing a few rounds and tighten to about 90% of that and call it good.
And yes I lube the threads.

I'm not arguing here http://benchrest.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

My flossify is very simple, if it makes you happy, fulfills your requirements..... then Glorye Be To The Earth 'undt Skye ...... we're all happy, happy, happy

Jackie, I got the box.

With a hole in the corner LOL

I hate to think what that 4lb hunk of steel did to the sorting mochine that busted the box!

So I'll go buy a hunk from Metal Supermarkets and still try it :)

Thanks

al

What!!??

That was a very nice piece of steel. Not something you can just buy off the shelf.

That batch was ordered as E4340. We had the pieces normalized, then hardened and tempered to meet the specific strength level required.

Last edited:
What!!??

That was a very nice piece of steel. Not something you can just buy off the shelf.

That batch was ordered as E4340. We had the pieces normalized, then hardened and tempered to meet the specific strength level required.

I feel your pain. I once received an empty cardboard tube with no Bartlein barrel. The delivery driver returned a few hours later with a very scratched up barrel that he found rolling around the bed of the truck.

Back