H4831 vs H4831SC

K

kennyhess

Is there any difference in burn rate or does it just meter better?? Working on loads for 300 win mag.

I don't believe these to be the same, My experience is that the 4831sc is a tad faster. One thing for sure is with big heavy bullets, you'll be able to get more powder into the case, less compressed loads with 4831sc. That could be good could be bad. I like to load near 100% volume capacity... With 4831sc you may have some elbow room in there.

Paul

Acording to what the powder company says the burn rate is the same . good luck Max

Acording to what the powder company says the burn rate is the same . good luck Max

Given that the composition, diameter and coating is the same, the burn rate of each granule should also be the same and the progression of the flame through the cartridge case should also be similar.

They would also seem to suggest that you can load slightly more (SC) powder into a case due to the smaller granules, although I would not suggest that since the maximum loads of the powder(s) is defined by weight.

Been using H4831 since the mid-'60s and didn't try H4831SC until a few years ago. I have used a good bit of each now, but pretty much in only two cartridges: .25-06 &
.270. I can tell no difference in accuracy, velocity, or charge weights. Even the SC version is coarse, but I suppose it goes through a measure slightly better than the original.

I have gotten away from standard 4831 and use only SC version now.
I use it in 25-06 with bullets from 110 to 130 grains. I find it to slow for bullets any lighter than that.
Ted

never used 4831, have only use 4831 SC and it's my go to powder for 7mag, 30-06, 270, 300 win mag, 270WSM, 25-06 and a couple more different rounds,,,,,,,,,

the wind is my friend,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

DD

Thanks for all of the input. I am putting the sc at the top of my list to try. The wind is our friend. Kenny

This just happened yesterday. I got near the end of my H4831 and opened a new jar of H4831sc. I emptied the remainder of the 4831 and then refilled the measure and ran through several loads to fully charge the system. I weighed a throw of the new powder and it pegged the beam scale. I was level at 50.7 and the same volume of of SC pegged the beam scale. I repeated this with 3 more measures. So I chased the beam across and re leveled at 51.2 grains. That's 0.5 grain difference in this case. YMMV. I reset the measure for less powder volume, 50.7 grains by mass, and finished 20 rounds with 50.7 of the SC. I will chrono them today in the rain. My old pet load is 50.7 grains H4831 at 2795-2815 fps. My powder source randomly has either variety in stock, but never both. This may be a problem...........

Back from the Range - Rain - One valid chrono reading - 3147 fps. :cool: Primer flattened and firing pin hole looks like an ice pick hit it. More than 10% increase in velocity from the same mass of powder if the chrono reading is valid. Maybe it will stop raining on a Sunday........

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the input. I'm hoping to get out to the range next week and try it in my 300 win and some nosler 200 gr accubonds. Will post results.

I've only tried one lot of 4831SC in 6x47 Lapua & 284; never used straight 4831 in the 6x47, so can't compare one to the other there. But I didn't get the accuracy or velocity with SC that plain 'ol 4831 provides in the 284. And since results w/SC in the 6x47 weren't anything to write home about, I sold the remainder of the 8lb. jug to a friend who wanted to try it in his 416 Rigby.

My bad. ;) Re-chroned same loads in clear blue sky last week. 2820 +/- 30 fps. Rain made errant chrono reading. All primers look the same, equally flat and hammered. Soft Fed 210M ? I dunno. This is just to correct my incorrect conclusion posted earlier.:eek:

Some time back, I shot when it was raining & even though I was under cover my cases felt dampish like they were misted over. Anyway, the whole bunch flattened the primers & the head of the case extruded at the ejector hole.

I figured that case was because there was reduced friction on the brass & the back thrust on the bolt was greater.

John,

That might also have been due to the dampness causing a better seal in the chamber, increasing pressures. It doesn't take much leakage down the case body to cause a decrease in pressure. Did the cases appear to come out cleaner than normal? Especially at the neck and shoulder?

Back