H4198 in a 30x47 HBR ?

S

sambubba1

What do you guys think the powder charge range would be for this 30x47 based on Lapua .308 and 6.5x47 cases using 125g ballistic tips?
I shot one load yesterday that left the bolt very hard to open with an ejector mark on the case. The load I used was from a well known
BR shooter--38.5g. Any help will be appreciated. I normally use Varget and H4895, but some of the guys were touting H4198.

H-4198 is

What do you guys think the powder charge range would be for this 30x47 based on Lapua .308 and 6.5x47 cases using 125g ballistic tips?
I shot one load yesterday that left the bolt very hard to open with an ejector mark on the case. The load I used was from a well known
BR shooter--38.5g. Any help will be appreciated. I normally use Varget and H4895, but some of the guys were touting H4198.

WAY too fast for a max density load for a 30x47. I for one would not use a low density load in a BR rifle. You really want to use a powder that yields a 95-105% load density for true consistency. If you are looking for something faster than N-135 or 748, try N-133 or Benchmark. As for your first trial OF 4198, you are WAY over-loaded

I have shot 40.7 Gr. to 41.2 Gr. very successfully with 112 & 118 Bibs in my two 30x47L rifles.

This is why I was incredulous that my load left a big ejector mark and the bolt was very hard to open. I wonder if the ballistic tip
might have caused the problem.

This is why I was incredulous that my load left a big ejector mark and the bolt was very hard to open. I wonder if the ballistic tip
might have caused the problem.

Actually this is what I hate about talking powder charges on the internet, there are literally a whole lot of variables here. For openers the lot of H4198 I have right now is quite slow compared to some I have had. Still I would think the load you quoted would not give pressure problems.

twist?

and what twist?

The facts are...

Your load is too hot, so back off or seek a slower powder that will give you more density as Dave halblom suggested. Different chambers will respond to the same load differently. Don't ignore the warning signs your rifle is flashing.

I would not consider that way overloaded. My 30-30 will digest similar loads without pressure problems, and bolt lift is normal. That exact load would run around 3200 fps in the 30-30. The 30X47 holds a little more powder, so the pressure should be less. Bottom line is this. If your bolt effort is hard, there can be other reasons like a tight barrel, hot lot of 4198, or chamber to bolt misalignment or not square.

Michael

Last edited:
Back