H414

J

jaybic

Hello,

What opinions or experiences does anyone have with H414 in a 22-250?

I found that my 22-250 really likes this powder it appears but it seems I have heard negatives like temp sensitive or inconsistant from jug to jug. Here in MN, I might shoot on a 90 degree day in the summer and take the same load to ND in January and it will be -10 degrees.

I also have another concern. My new Savage has a stainless steel barrel(I think). Is this an issue will cold weather and it being brittle? I have read that certain kinds of metal(chrome moly vs stainless stainless steel) are better that others. Any insight on this?

Thanks again for your time.:)

Jamie

No shortage of opinions ?

Krieger says yes cold weather can have a disaterious effect on SS barrels..... H414 is same as W-W 760 and that is know as a great powder in 22-250 AI shooting 55gr bullets.

For different bullet weights you can choose between Varget, H-380 BLC-2, 4350...all these are EXTREME powders. They stay consistent through very low to very high temps. My favorite it Varget or Reloader 15...most of alliant powders are extreme also. Good shooting, Gary

I have also heard of H414 being temperature sensitive and that may well be. Most of my chronographing has been done in temperatures between 60 and ninety degrees; velocities may be noticeably lower as temperature decreases. I have used much of this powder for years in both my .22-250 and .220 Swift and have yet to find anything more accurate. However, lot-to-lot variation was (and perhaps still is) greater with H414 than many other powders. Some loading manuals list maximum loads that are a couple of grains stouter than what either of my rifles will handle with most popular bullet weights.

My experience with H414 in a .22-250 made me go to other powders. Very temperature sensitive in my experience.

BTW I don't believe that BL-C(2), H380, or any of the other Hodgdon spherical powders are EXTREME powders, only their stick powders are.

Larry,

I agree with you. I know that Varget and H4895 are both "extreme" powders. There is actually a little "extreme" logo right on the powder jug and Blc2 does not have that logo. Cant remember about the others but I believe you are right.:)

Jamie

I've used H414 solely in my...........

.22-250 since 1982, with a regular LR primer, either Remington 9&1/2s or Winchester WLRs. The accuracy has always been excellent, and while it is a bit sooty, I find that it cleans up quickly. How you treat the barrel seems to mean more than what products you use. For many years, I used the 'Namweps lube, LSA as a bore cleaner and lube, 'til I found out the vehicle could cause liver cancer, canned that. Now, I use MPro7 and the soot doesn't stay around too long, and doesn't seem too bothersome at all. I think your concerns w/stainless are valid if you're going to be out in temps of, say, -20F and below, for extended periods w/416. Kreiger used to address this problem by offering 410, but I suppose production suffered greatly, they said it was hard on tooling and no longer offered. As for the accuracy, I used to use H4895, which was excellent in the '250, but when I tried H414, the 4895 is now used in other rifles and I've never looked back. I tend to find something that works and stick with it. I do plan to look at some other powders as an experiment to see if some I've been wanting to try have some better qualities. HTH :)

Hodgdon extreem powders are all extruded powders manufactured by ADI of Austrailia. None of the "Extreem" line is ball.
H414 is a ball powder made in St Marks and packaged by both Hodgdon as H414 and Winchester as WW760. They are the same powders just different lots, and are not "extreems". Hodgdon for years has put their name on various powders that are also sold under other names by their manufacture. H110 is WW296 and HP38 is WW231 as example.

Back