gunsmith schools

J

JC1

Hi,
I did a quick search for info on a good gunsmith school but came up empty. I found one through google that caught in PA, does anyone have first hand experience with that school?

For what its worth, I'm 49, own my own business now and need to start doing something I enjoy that is not affected by the weather (I have a power washing business).

Thanks for the help

If you had read the previous thread you would have seen several colleges that have gunsmithing courses...even though it references NRA short courses...most of these schools have full accredited courses in gunsmithing..

http://www.nragunsmithing.com/Default.html

I didnt see any other threads but thanks for the link.

I am interested in hearing from guys/gals that have gone to school for master gunsmithing. Experience is far more valuable than hearsay.

That being said, I wonder how many hear are self taught?

Most of the schools are a 2 year program. They can teach you the basics if you have no experiance. But for example in 2 years you will build 2 rifles at TSJC plus do all the normal college programs. The USMC 2112 gunsmith program is 15 months of hands on after being an experianced 45B/2111 small arms repairman with good ratings.

Troy Community College Troy NC, has 1 year 2 year & NRA Short Course, great place in the middle of nowhere,

the wind is my friend,,,,,,,,,,,,,

DD

When was that? Would you recommend the program?

I'm a Charter Member, year #1 and year #2 although I didn't finish (got expelled.) At that time they only offered the two yr program.

I'm the wrong person to ask about that program, my experience there was..."enlightening.".....Recommended? I dunno, is any "higher education" worth it? They now advertise the program as "the two yr course prepares you for working the counter at a sporting goods store" and "the long program prepares you for employment at say Cabelas or Dakota...."

I've now owned my own business (not guns) for 25yrs, I see education differently. And I hire people based on who they are, not how much schooling they've accumulated. Dunno as I'd hire ANYONE who couldn't easily handle the counter in a gun store, to me that's basic function. Like wiping theirself and remembering to zip. And not drooling.

al

I'm a Charter Member, year #1 and year #2 although I didn't finish (got expelled.) At that time they only offered the two yr program.

I'm the wrong person to ask about that program, my experience there was..."enlightening.".....Recommended? I dunno, is any "higher education" worth it? They now advertise the program as "the two yr course prepares you for working the counter at a sporting goods store" and "the long program prepares you for employment at say Cabelas or Dakota...."

I've now owned my own business (not guns) for 25yrs, I see education differently. And I hire people based on who they are, not how much schooling they've accumulated. Dunno as I'd hire ANYONE who couldn't easily handle the counter in a gun store, to me that's basic function. Like wiping theirself and remembering to zip. And not drooling.

al

Thanks for the info... sounds more broad than what I'm interested in learning.

Sounds more like a sale persons course than machining from that brief statement above. Smiths do not spend much time behind a sales counter, that's not what they are there for. Well my 2 cents worth, less inflation.

Trinidad might have shutdown their course, not sure, Speedy isn't with them any longer.

MCC has about a 2 yr wait to get into their full time program at this time. (from what I hear) I have about 18+ cert. from the Summer NRA Short term corses at MCC . Most of the instructors are National Level folks Wegan, Powers, Marvel, ETC. . Classes are 3 days to 2 weeks (most are 5 days) . I started taking 1-3 classes a summer in "93 when I retired the first time. Been smithing since '74, lots of OJT and talking,working,with other smiths,machinist, always seem to pickup something of interest . Even took a knife making class (3 day) one year. There are other colleges that have the Summer NRA classes ,check out their course schedules. There are different folks that work different ones. MCC had Mark Stratton one year (GREAT) , Some folks only teach at select schools. Col. schools , Murry state,Etc. . Bob Dunlap was at MCC one year teaching Trigger function and adj. (Out standing) He was head at Lassen CC in Cal.. You can check out and take the classes that interest you , rifle,pistol,shotgun, machining,metal refinishing,Doug Trunbul taught a class one year at MCC.. Classes generaly are from May-sept.. If you take a class be sure you take a digital camera, 6"scale to put in the pic. for scale and make notes, they also hand out course notes/booklets some better than others. They pub. a tools list for the courses so you know what you need . You will still come up with (I should have brough that!) OWLSHOP.:)

I think the Brownells catalog has a list of schools as does the NRAs' web site. They can teach you the basics and some advanced stuff, too. They don't just pick instructors from thin air, they actually have to know something and have the credentials to prove it. If you go in, thinking you already "know it all", you won't do well. If you truely show interest in learning and can show a bit of ability to learn, you'll have more info and 'tricks of the trade" provided to you than you thought possible. When I went, 20 some years ago, there were some pretty wild ideas that came out of some, because they had read such and such here or there. I can't imagine what it would be like now, thanks to the internet!

Back