Gunsmith needed for Bat action

B

badazl

Who on here can add weight to my firing pin and a stronger spring for a BAT SV in less than a month so I don't miss my monthly fclass shoot? I don't have a spare rifle.

Why do you need an added weight and a stronger spring? I have several BAT actions and none of them have had this modification and they all shoot very very well. Its up to you as to what and how you spend your money, but unless i saw something on paper that i didnt like i would buy more bullets or something. Are you having an issue? Please share if so. Some folks really believe in these mods, most do not! Lee

Like Lee I've got to wonder why you'd want to increase firing pin weight. Decreasing weight of the firing pin will decrease lock time, a very good thing, and installing a stiffer spring to move a heavier firing pin as fast as the standard pin would likely produce bolt lift that'd make your eyes water. I installed a heavier than standard firing pin spring in one of my rifles, and removed it pretty quickly after trying it because it was too stiff for comfortable operation of the bolt.

Badazl, did you try going back to BAT? I have several BAT actions, most of them work great (both the short model S and the longer model M & MB), none have been modified after the factory. I did have some extraction issues with my M, BAT jumped right on it and gave me more clearance under the extractor (they did it in a week). They have always been pleased to assist me with anything I needed.

What primers are you using, and what do the firing pin indentations look like on the misfires?

As Zini suggests giving BAT a call would likely be the best place to start with one of their actions. If it's a problem with the firing pin or firing pin spring they'll likely be able to figure it out as quickly as anyone, and possibly for no charge unless someone's fiddled with it. Maybe even then. Never had a BAT, but most custom action makers stand behind their products.

I had misfire problems in 3 guns. Changed firing pin spring in one and almost sent another bolt to be bushed. I finally determined that I have 5K of defective Wolf primers.

You might give Dwight Scott a call at 517-663-1750 in Michigan. Bat makes a action to Dwight's spec's = BAT DS, Dwight does a lot of work on BAT actions, he has been Tony Boyer's smith for years.

Dan Honert

I believe in addition to Dwight Scott, both Wayne Campbell and Billy Stevens do this modification. They believe all the 6.5 BATs, and sometimes the 7.6 Bats, need this modification. But the need for this work is usually given to shrink groups, not to cure misfires. I too have had misfires with Wolf small rifle magnum primers. fortunately, I was only stuck with 1,000. Still, if you send it to a good smith, if there is something causing misfires, he'll attend to that as well -- if you mention it.

Less than a month turn-around seems optimistic. Billy Stevens is probably the quickest of the three just now.

BTW, In F-class, shooting off rests, I can't see how lock time is a factor.

For those of you not familiar with the BAT SV, it is a compact light weight action. The firing mechanism is shorter and consequently lighter weight than most benchrest actions. Just because yours doesn't misfire doesn't eliminate misfires in all the other actions in use!!

There are some well known and experienced benchrest gunsmiths that stay pretty busy fixing fire control systems in several brands of benchrest actions!!!

OP, what case are you shooting, and what primers are you using that are causing these misfires??

Because the gun is sitting on a rest, stationary. So it doesn't matter when the gun goes off, it only matters that it does.

Now, if you were talking about highpower or silhouette, where the shooter if bobbing all over the place, now that timing may matter. (I seriously doubt it anyway). But if your corsshairs are bob'n and weav'n in FClass, you pretty much lost already, so don't worry about the lock timing. You've got bigger fish to fry.

what all do they do to the ds actions that BAt doesnt do to there B actions? Lee

Which B action are you refering to, they make four different B actions? The closest B action to the DS is .5oz heavier and the port is 3" compared to the DS port at 2.80". Does that help you out there skeeter? If Dwight specified any other changes, I don't know, you can always give him a call.

Dan

Which B action are you refering to, they make four different B actions? The closest B action to the DS is .5oz heavier and the port is 3" compared to the DS port at 2.80". Does that help you out there skeeter? If Dwight specified any other changes, I don't know, you can always give him a call.

Dan

Dan

In addition to what you mentioned, my understanding is that:

The DS has a roller on the cocking piece, a different shroud, and has a removable disc around the firing pin hole on the bolt face. The DS did come with a brass collar behind the threads in the tenon, but I am not sure if this is still done.

The B does not have the roller on the cocking piece, has a different shroud and does not have the disk insert in the boltface.

These differences are based on my observation and some comments from Bruce Thom

Dan

In addition to what you mentioned, my understanding is that:

The DS has a roller on the cocking piece, a different shroud, and has a removable disc around the firing pin hole on the bolt face. The DS did come with a brass collar behind the threads in the tenon, but I am not sure if this is still done.

The B does not have the roller on the cocking piece, has a different shroud and does not have the disk insert in the boltface.

These differences are based on my observation and some comments from Bruce Thom

Fergus, I had forgotten about the brass collar even though I had just passed one along to a friend of mine . The rollers on the cocking piece wasn't specific to the DS action that I had, it being one of the first actions: #11, I do remember some coming with that roller cocking piece, different shroud is a ? mark for me, seems as though you are up on the details. Good on you, that should give the skeeter something to roll around in his jaws for a bit.

Dan

Last edited:
my understanding was the weight and lighter spring were predominantly for the 3 lug as the cocking ramp is steeper .it was to lighten bolt lift for obvious reasons.

Back