Gunsmith Dwight Scott, Animal Planets' "Hijackers"........

Don

........very interesting, well presented, and familiar.

Thought the name and shop looked familiar when channel surfing, surprised to see something about someone involved in BR outside its' small world.

Hope for a full recovery..............Don

I didn't know

that Dwigts segment was going to be on last night !!

I went to the Animal Planet web sight but didn't find a link to that video segment..

Can some post a link to Dwights part of the show or to the whole program, please !

Dwight was bitten by a fly (maybe some other bug) and got a rare and very deadly sleeping disease. The doctors in Kenya (I believe that is right) only gave him a day or two to live but Michigan State University Hospital pulled him through. Need to send them a donation for that one.

Haven't asked but was wondering if Dwight was going to go back to Africa or not. I'd be a little leary. Anyway, haven't seen the show, would like to catch it.

Hovis

I saw that, but didn't realize it was Dwight Scott of gunsmithing fame!
He was bitten by a Tsetse fly. Not sure about that spelling. Man, he's lucky to be alive.
Melvin

Dwight Scott

I figured that since I saw this on a TV program I was probably the last to know about it, and would get the inside details, here, from those that rub elbows with Dwight on a daily basis. I guess I was not last to know.

The last time that I had heard Dwights name mentioned was in James Mocks' PS article about this years SS with Tony and Faye Boyer. One point in the article that stood out were the gunsmiths that the Boyers' were using, including Dwight Scott and Wayne Campbell.

At the time I thought Boyer was using Dwight Scott exclusively for his cf competition chambering, and was slightly surprised to hear mention of Campbells use, but chalked it up to mentor/pupil stuff.

After watching the TV program I can now see why there may be other reasons for having to spread the work.

Although there are few written details mentioned about this TV program segment (see about the only description I could find on the internet below), the actual broadcast segment about Dwight Scotts' case involving "tsetse fly infection with Trypanosoma bruceilli" was actually very in-depth, explainning Scotts' occupation, with alot of segment time spent in Scotts' home and shop along with interviews with his wife and physicians attending to his case, reanacments of; the hunt (great photo of Scott on the hunt with his custom made big game rifle), African hospital emergency care, spinal taps, and recovery process.

In fact, there was so much detail about the circumstances to his case and outcome, that it is probably better to see the show than trying to explain it here on this messageboard, unless someone with better writing skills than myself would like to take a crack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aVUrGO97Zg

.............Don

Eaton Rapids man is featured on 'Monsters'

TONIGHT'S MUST-SEE II: "Monsters Inside Me," 9 p.m., Animal Planet.

An Eaton Rapids man and the MSU Medical Center take a key role in this documentary.

Dwight Scott was in Tanzania when he contracted an extremely rare parasite that causes sleeping sickness. Kenyan doctors gave him one day to live, but MSU doctors went to work.

Last edited:
After talking to Dwight a couple months ago, I would hold up any funds to the Michigan school that treated him. He got his best treatment in South Africa. After getting home and not getting better and fighting the Michigan people he was getting ready to go back to Africa. Saeed that runs the www.accuratereloading.com forum has long used Dwight as his personal gunsmith. Dwight has gone to Africa many years as Saeed's guest and it was Saeed that flew him to be treated, took care of him, and got him back to the USA. He is a very fine man.
Butch

After talking to Dwight a couple months ago, I would hold up any funds to the Michigan school that treated him. He got his best treatment in South Africa. After getting home and not getting better and fighting the Michigan people he was getting ready to go back to Africa. Saeed that runs the www.accuratereloading.com forum has long used Dwight as his personal gunsmith. Dwight has gone to Africa many years as Saeed's guest and it was Saeed that flew him to be treated, took care of him, and got him back to the USA. He is a very fine man.
Butch

Butch, you are absolutely correct..............in the TV program segment Dwight made an emphatic statement that his African care was top notch and that he could not have asked for any better help..............Don

I saw that, but didn't realize it was Dwight Scott of gunsmithing fame!
He was bitten by a Tsetse fly. Not sure about that spelling. Man, he's lucky to be alive.
Melvin

I almost did not make the connection either. It has been over 10 years since I have seen Dwight in-person, which was at the Cactus in AZ, so I did not immediatly recognise the face.

But, when the camera panned to that old green, what I believe was a "Jet" lathe, with a big fat stainless barrel mounted, the light bulb went on, and the old mind said " is'nt this a small world"...............Don

The first time we heard...

about it was when Steve Robbins called and said, "Turn on Animal Planet... quick".

We saw part of the program. I checked the TV Guide and it's been on twice since then.

You might catch it if they continue to repeat showing it.

Dick

Dwight was bitten by a fly (maybe some other bug) and got a rare and very deadly sleeping disease. The doctors in Kenya (I believe that is right) only gave him a day or two to live but Michigan State University Hospital pulled him through. Need to send them a donation for that one.

Haven't asked but was wondering if Dwight was going to go back to Africa or not. I'd be a little leary. Anyway, haven't seen the show, would like to catch it.

Hovis

The Tsetse fly

Back