Greetings from a New Member - Beginning my journey to building my own Rifle

Barrel Fitting and Chambering Instruction?

I'm interested in barrel work and have pretty much all the equipment and tooling one could possibly want. I inherited a very nicely setup and fully functioinal Clausing 5914 with many chucks, cutters, tool holders, dial indicators and reamers. My wife's father was a well known benchrest barrel man but wasn't into sharing his knowledge till it was too late. I was looking for some instruction on setting up a barrel in the lathe and performing the necessary operations correctly. I've actually done a few barrels myself already, but getting the best setup still eludes me. I also inherited dozens of barrels, both blanks and premium benchrest takeoffs. I understand Gordy Gritters was doing some teaching but his website has not been updated in several years. Is he still doing those programs? I heard a rumor that there were some others providing hands on instruction and would appreciate any information that might be current. Because of my other work, enrolling in a gunsmithing class at a community college would be impractical, but spending a few days in the shop of a good teacher would be a good place to start.

Funny, but my father in law thought very little of Gordy's practices. He had been doing this work for decades and multiple hundreds of barrels and was quite set in his ways. Very suspicious of information from the internet. I'm on the West Coast but high in the mountains, away from most of the lunacy. I would be happy to travel for the right opportunity.

Gordy does do training. He will even come to your shop and show you on your equipment. He sends emails about his classes. I'm not sure how I got on that email distribution, though. If you want to do that I suggest calling him.

I'm interested in barrel work and have pretty much all the equipment and tooling one could possibly want. I inherited a very nicely setup and fully functioinal Clausing 5914 with many chucks, cutters, tool holders, dial indicators and reamers. My wife's father was a well known benchrest barrel man but wasn't into sharing his knowledge till it was too late. I was looking for some instruction on setting up a barrel in the lathe and performing the necessary operations correctly. I've actually done a few barrels myself already, but getting the best setup still eludes me. I also inherited dozens of barrels, both blanks and premium benchrest takeoffs. I understand Gordy Gritters was doing some teaching but his website has not been updated in several years. Is he still doing those programs? I heard a rumor that there were some others providing hands on instruction and would appreciate any information that might be current. Because of my other work, enrolling in a gunsmithing class at a community college would be impractical, but spending a few days in the shop of a good teacher would be a good place to start.

Funny, but my father in law thought very little of Gordy's practices. He had been doing this work for decades and multiple hundreds of barrels and was quite set in his ways. Very suspicious of information from the internet. I'm on the West Coast but high in the mountains, away from most of the lunacy. I would be happy to travel for the right opportunity.

Sounds if your FIL was a very smart guy.

Back