GPS Navigation

Al, I have seen several articles alluding to the "new" military GPS signals, but really do not have any more specific info than that. This link was a reference that got my interest but I've not pursued the subject at all. I'm perfectly at peace with the fact that the military has satellite capabilities that I'm not aware of or they wouldn't have made these available to civilians.

http://www.ion.org/search/view_abstract.cfm?jp=p&idno=990

Although, this excerpt from an AP story seems to indicate the new technology is also available to the public ...

The Air Force Space Command oversees the United States' GPS satellites and ground control systems from its headquarters at Peterson Air Force Base, Colorado.

The Block III satellites are expected to allow military and civilian users to determine their position within 3 feet, compared with 10 feet with current technology, according to the Congressional Budget Office.

That's all the "refute" I've got ...

I have no more experience in GPS navigation device,but it works like a machine and this is a global device to show position.

The Block III satellites are expected to allow military and civilian users to determine their position within 3 feet, compared with 10 feet with current technology, according to the Congressional Budget Office.[/I]

10 ft is plenty close enough for me, that is less than a car length.

Al, I have seen several articles alluding to the "new" military GPS signals, but really do not have any more specific info than that. This link was a reference that got my interest but I've not pursued the subject at all. I'm perfectly at peace with the fact that the military has satellite capabilities that I'm not aware of or they wouldn't have made these available to civilians.

http://www.ion.org/search/view_abstract.cfm?jp=p&idno=990

Although, this excerpt from an AP story seems to indicate the new technology is also available to the public ...

The Air Force Space Command oversees the United States' GPS satellites and ground control systems from its headquarters at Peterson Air Force Base, Colorado.

The Block III satellites are expected to allow military and civilian users to determine their position within 3 feet, compared with 10 feet with current technology, according to the Congressional Budget Office.

That's all the "refute" I've got ...

Well, at the risk of steering the thread sideways I'll share my thoughts.....

IMO the ref'd article only states that the military plans to use "the satellites" as per usual but play with a new signal.....new for them.

These satellites are used for all sorts of things, they're basically public domain and easily accounted for. (perty hard to hide a satellite) They don't steer them around, "bring them over" as it were. They can't "read license plates with them" nor any of the other garbage perpetuated by the Redneck Urban Legend crowd......... For a while they had the signals "scrambled" or shaken up just a little, this was political nonsense but we sheeples tend to just let them do what they want. Now we all can cheaply get the same accuracy.

And as far as the military "having stuff that's better than the general public" and "allowing the general public to use" stuff, this is the part that gets me going. #1, the military gets it's stuff FROM US not the other way 'round and #2 the whole idea'r that "the military has stuff we can't imagine" just makes me laff.

OK, rant off

LOL

al

3 feet, 3 meters, 30 feet, 30 meters (all accademic) does not make any difference when you are throwing 500-2000 pounders. They did not call them block busters without reason.

There are several layers of GPS signals. The real accuracy is found with Differential GPS. It is used by both the military and civilians ( ie: surveyors and engineers).

The new smart phones combine two technologies one GPS and the other signal strength off their towers.

They interphase all the technologies with topo and real maps.
Nat Lambeth

Nat, I sure agree that the new smartphones are great. Looking to get one after the holidays but technology is advancing so quickly I hate to jump in and then have a better one announced the next week!! Right now I'm planning to go with with a Windows smartphone. What's your advice?

Steenkin' smartphones.....GPS.... I had a guy bring me out fishing a while back. We got to the Columbia and launched into a back channel, had to drive almost a mile on twisty shoal water to get out to the main channel which is a couple miles wide. Then 5 miles upriver to a hogline.

Freakin' SOCKED in fog, 20-30ft visibility.

HUNDREDS of boats out there and we have to drive up the shipping channel, 100ft tall ships doing 30knots out there....

Having been on big water for 35yrs I was prepared to set it out in a coffee shop or go home.

We're in an 18ft aluminum sled, lean over and wash your hands in the river.

Two guys driving, one on the wheel constantly talking on his phone and reading his headsup, one hunkered over his smartphone mumbling directions and we wheeled outta' there throwing a wake. For almost an hour they drove on the phone.

I never saw another boat.

I never relaxed once.

We anchored.

An hour later the fog cleared and there were 26 boats anchored within eyesight.

Regarding accuracy, I'm a foundation contractor. Part of being a foundation contractor is locating the survey marks on building lots, subdivision and otherwise. It's normal for us to hack, shovel, bulldoze, chainsaw and otherwise storm our way out to where the corner might be found and then tap on the ground with a hunk of rebar listening for a 'ting.' Or use the 'dozer to scrape the top until we roll up something. POINT is, GPS is awesome for locates in the bush. Back when the signal was "fibrillated" (my term) we sometimes carried out a clunky airplane GPS on a car battery, now about any unit will do. It's still amazing to hack one's way into a blackberry thicket, zero out and KICK the steel survey marker without being able to see it!

And just the other night my kid called in from the front in Sangin on satellite phone.

Interesting time to be alive

al

Back