got bad news today!!

Hey there Phil. Are you coming to the RBA nationals? Derek, which style of Don's stock did you go with..We are going to try and have some more matches at Jackie's place.We can even shoot out of the building all winter. Do you know of any shooters your way interested in coming?.....Jerry Sloan

jerry,
i got the benchrest stock. it has a flat bottum on the butt of the stock. if your at jackies much you'll see it when i bring the pieces to him for his magic!!

if you'll let me know when the shoots are i'll put the word out. i might be able to get a few more guys. my cousin enjoyed the match he shot my suhl in.

heres a few pictures of my new stock. it is birdseye maple with a dark strip of wall nut down the center.
newstock006.jpg
newstock008.jpg
testfitting001.jpg

it may not improve my scores much, but it will turn heads for sure when i finish it!!! the maple is covered up in birdseyes!! my phone camera doesn't take good up close pictures or i would show you. when i take it to jackie you can handle it and look it over. don does damned good work. the way it is now was how it came out of the box!!!! almost finish sanded!! i'm going to go over it and make it slick then put a good glossy clear coat on it. i love pretty wood on a rifle myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
i have to say that times have changed on the railroads. there is only 2 men on the trains now. a conducter and a engineer. we have no choice anymore about becoming a engineer. it is called a forced promotion now. after you become a engineer you can't go back to being a conducter unless they(the company) cut you back. the unions are weak and pretty much useless!!! i'd rather not have to belong to one to work where i do, but i have no choice. we pay dues(we working people see it as being robbed by union officials because they do nothing for us at all). in the 10 years i've been there the unions have sold us out several times. it is a disgrace to say i belong to the u.t.u. the sad thing is the b.l.e.t. is no better!!!!

by the way i hate unions. they protect the screw ups and do nothing for the people who do thier jobs and stay out of trouble.

YES, YES, YES...............................! Damn Right on the money...
cale

Jerry............................................. ...................

Sorry to say I won't be able to make it........getting home at midnight and having to go to work the next morning is a little much with only 2 weeks since the last trip.

Hey that is a good looking stock. It looks like Don's Wedge model...It will serve you well.....Jerry

man, it's sad what happened to the unions, I never had a non-union job. I worked on the C&NW RR from 1964-1969 when I got my trade apprentiship. i'm now retired with a good pension and good health and welfare, no complaints about unions here. Back to the railroad, man what a great job! Work with different guys everyday, riding around in a locomotive pulling about 100 freight cars, what a blast! I never had so much fun in my life on a job. The reason I quit was never home, the railroad works 365 days a year 24hrs a day, no holidays, no weekends, didn't have to take your vacation unless you wanted to; I spent more time in Milwaukee than I did in Chicago. We'd go up to Milw and then get put up in a hotel until our turn came up to go back, sometimes 24hrs. I'd get back and it seemed like only 12hrs going out again. some of those old engineers and trainmen, I'll never forget them, talk about characters! Thanks, Douglas

Back