Got 6ppc

D

DanK

Hey guys.. I just bought a used 6ppc to get started in benchrest. Its got a Hall S action, Hart 1.14 twist, Lee six thumbhole stock, dont really like the stock that much, but it will get me started.

Now that I have the rifle, I have no idea what I should get as far a dies. It has a .262 neck, and I got some brass with it that was fire formed and ready to shoot.

So what dies should I use, and what bushings do I need. Or anything else that I need.

run and hide

Keep you'r checkbook at home, bring you'r wife to matches
And welcome to a wonderful sport.

OK.. this is what I got so far.... Keep my check book at home, thats always a good thing. Take my wife to matches, that is always a good thing, since she wants to shoot :D Well let me think about that agian one minite..I dont think thats a good thing... That means spending more of my mad money.:mad:

Proper sizing dies

It will require a little checking but make sure the full length sizing die you choose matches the reamer. Especially check the base. Nothing is more obnoxious than firing a few shots and having a click at the top because the base is not sized down far enough.

As far as neck bushings probably or .256, .257, or .258 would be good to start.

Yes, thumbhole stocks are legal, but they have not been popular for a number of years. If I was shooting it, I would keep my thumb out of the thumbhole when pulling the trigger. With that sort of hand to stock engagement there is a danger of twisting the stock when pulling the trigger. Other than that, there should be no problem.

It will require a little checking but make sure the full length sizing die you choose matches the reamer. Especially check the base. Nothing is more obnoxious than firing a few shots and having a click at the top because the base is not sized down far enough.

As far as neck bushings probably or .256, .257, or .258 would be good to start.
When you say a little click at the end, what do you mean? Like a hard bolt lift.

I dont have the reamer for it.. So couldnt I just send Harrell some of my brass so he could find a good match?

When you say a little click at the end, what do you mean? Like a hard bolt lift.

I dont have the reamer for it.. So couldnt I just send Harrell some of my brass so he could find a good match?

Yes the Harrels route would be a good one, send him 3 cases, make sure they are fired several times.

The click refers to a click at the top of the bolt stroke as it begins to cam the bolt rearward. This happens way before Hard Bolt Lift.

Dick

Get a few neck bushings in the .258, .259, .260 vicinity, and a Wilson straight line seater. The deluxe model with a micrometer top is an excellent addition.

Dick

wrong way

Dick I think your going the wrong way on the bushing for a 62 neck. I would say 59 58 57 and that should be good. It of course depend on the over all of the seated brass. I like the Redding dies I don't think the Harrels are hard maybe I'm wrong happened one time before. I would also pick up a shoulder gage so your no over sizing.

Dick I think your going the wrong way on the bushing for a 62 neck. I would say 59 58 57 and that should be good. It of course depend on the over all of the seated brass. I like the Redding dies I don't think the Harrels are hard maybe I'm wrong happened one time before. I would also pick up a shoulder gage so your no over sizing.

Well Bob
I won't disagree with anything you said. Kinda depends on how thick the necks are . As to the Harrels vs Redding I like both.

Well Bob
I won't disagree with anything you said. Kinda depends on how thick the necks are . As to the Harrels vs Redding I like both.

Measured with calipers, I dont have a ball calipers yet. It measures around 10 thou

How do I go about getting a shoulder gauge? I dont have the reamer for it. But I think its a Seely Maskers chamber if that helps any, if I remembered that correctly

Dont your guys just love Green, Green guys with all of there questions :D

Measured with calipers, I dont have a ball calipers yet. It measures around 10 thou

I doubt you can get a decent measurement with calipers just measuring the neck. Try measuring loaded round diameter and pressure ring diameter of the bare bullet this is about the most accurate way to measure case neck thickness with a caliper.

If you get a harrels die they send a shoulder guage with every die so you can measure shoulder set back for your die adjustment.Top of the line stuff and folks too. steve

Back