Good yesterday, bad today, good tomorrow.

Try some Benchmark in your 30BR. Velocity will be less but i bet you smile when your done. I saw you and your daughter at the East West. Pretty cool stuff, wouldnt you say? Good Luck. Lee

It was very cool! It's about like going to the All STAR games if your into baseball and being able to mingle with the players, talk about hitting technique, and stand behind home plate as they bat. Sometimes just watching everyone else helps me more than a years worth of reading. I have a few pounds of benchmark, I will give it a try.

So, what are your favourite powders for consistency? I dont get to tune my 6PPC very often and will soon run out of N133

Sounds like your shooting N133. Try something else. Lee

I wont say who, but at the last Big benchrest shoot i attended, one of the best 6ppc shooters in the game made a comment after shooting his first group of the day. That comments was, " Now tell me we dont have powder issues with this crap" If your shooting N133, it can be very demanding. I like to have at least three powders that i can depend on. Well at least two!! A third is a bonus. Lee

Okay my question is, We throw by volume but does the powder burn by volume or weight? Does this make sense?

Reason I ask is I was shooting 2015 and found I had to go up on my Harrels from 54clks to 55.1 to equal the same weight (28.9/30 grs) between home and Billings.

When I found that spot I felt the rifle shot as well as I figured it should. The only reason I feel the aggs were not as good as they could be is my inexperience in recognizing the pickups and let offs. If I hit the condition just right it would drill them in there.

I have more testing to do to confirm this but I am adament that I must verify my volume charges by weighing them to make sure I am getting the same weight.

I would watch the whole series because its loaded full of great info, but Jack Neary addressed this issue 5:00 into this video>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DAIBx9uWmQ

nonliberal
Did you try the Benchmark yet? Just dont shoot it over the chrony! LOL!!! If you do you will be ass screwed up!! Lee

nonliberal
Did you try the Benchmark yet? Just dont shoot it over the chrony! LOL!!! If you do you will be ass screwed up!! Lee

I sent you a PM. I think there is more to this than the weather. I believe a lot of the inconsistency is the way I was shooting this rifle. Depending on setup the rifle would act different from day to day and I concluded that it was weather related. One of your old posts really helped me out!

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay here is another carrot tossed out there.

I thought that many fellas had done tests leaving powder out in the open for days/weeks on end and did not see any measureable changes in weight??????

Would this not tend to lead us to believe that the effect of humidity on the powder is how it effects how fast/slow the powder burns????? Thus requiring the changes up or down?

As I remember it is not the weight that changes with heat and humidity as much as it is the actual volume of the powder

There was a very good article in in Precision Shooting (pg. 9, May 2011) by Alan Peterson, titled "The Effects of Moisture on Velocity". Starting with the same out of the bottle weight, and humidifying and drying casefulls, there was a spread of 2% in the weights of charges that started out at the same moisture content (and weight), and were humidified, and dried. The velocity spread between the bone dry stuff and that that was 2% mositure by weight was 226 FPS. The "ambient" powder (basement stored) registered 3,232, the dry 3,324, and the humidified 3,098. His methods seemed sound to me.

There was a particular noted shooter that was going to take a specified amount of 133 and put it on the shelf down on the coast and see what happened to it in the open.
I dont know about weight but volume should also be tested. The only way I can think of to do that is to throw x number of charges AFTER weighing the total amount.
Then retrhow and reweigh and see what the differences would be.

Back