Good news for Nightforce fans.

James M.

In the competition arena, NF has primarily made products for the long range crowd. Many of their higher power scopes weigh in excess of 2 pounds. That is okay for the competitions that have generous weight allowances but not for those with a 10# or 10.5" limit.

Nightforce has now introduced a scope that may solve the weight problem. Yesterday, I received the new Nightforce Competiton 42X fixed power scope for an evaluation. I will test this scope for the next 3 months and write up my findings for the NBRSA magazine. James Mock PS- The scope weighs less than 21 ounces. The literature states 20.7 and my cheap scales say 20.9 oz.

Attachments

• New Nightforce 002.jpg
    New Nightforce 002.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 620
Last edited:
James, I have one of the NF 15-55X competition scopes. If the optics are anything like it, they will have a winner as long as it holds point of impact. Bet it was pretty hard to switch out your Valdada scope as amazingly well as you shot with it. Looking forward to your article.

Mike, the optics are every bit as good as the 15-55X scope,but I have only shot 10 rounds after mounting it....so the point of aim stability has not been tested, but I will give it a try Sat. at our 600 match. The Valdada is just temporarily off the old BAT, especially since I have the NF for only 90 days. James

Light Gathering

Mike, the optics are every bit as good as the 15-55X scope,but I have only shot 10 rounds after mounting it....so the point of aim stability has not been tested, but I will give it a try Sat. at our 600 match. The Valdada is just temporarily off the old BAT, especially since I have the NF for only 90 days. James

How much light gathering is lost in the reduction from 52mm to 44mm??

James,
Any idea why 42X? We have 36x, 40x, 45x, had 46x, 50x and 60x. Did they ask short range BR shooters what they
wanted? Just curious.
Regards,

Joe McNeill
SW Arkansas

I have not shot it in low light situations, but will shoot a 600 yd. match Saturday. I don't know why they chose 42X unless that is a good balance for the 44mm objective lens. The reason for the smaller objective is to save weight. With 42X and 44mm lens, the exit pupil will be greater than 1mm. I don't think that they wanted to go smaller. I hope for a win on its maiden voyage:D.
Good shooting...James

New Nightforce Scope

I have one on my sporter and currently have no intention of putting the leupold competition scope back on it. I have very poor vision and the brightness and clarity of the new scope is great. It also appears to be "rock solid" in holding point of impact. I have only shot it a couple of days and 20 or 30 groups but it appears to be a winner.

Joe, the new scope performed very well. The adjustments are spot on and the image was sharp and clear. I shot Sunday in some dim light and the 44 mm lens does not gather as much light as does the big 56 mm lens, but I believe that 44 mm along with the superb optics are adequate for all Benchrest applications. Good shooting...James

Attachments

• Prince 600 yd match 2 - 20 -16 002.jpg
    Prince 600 yd match 2 - 20 -16 002.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 496
Going going gone!

The donated scopes at the Cactus sure went fast at the drawings... I was about # 80 being drawn and missed any chance of one by at least 77 places!

Lou Murdica was shooting one of the NF 42's at the Cactus and won one of the yardages. The scope is almost identical in weight to a March fixed power scope. Lots easier to make weight with than the NF 15-55. It's pretty nice that Nightforce has taken an interest in the short range benchrest game to build a scope that will work for us. When I first started shooting BR the Leupold 36X had just been introduced. Heard lots of comments back then that 36X was just too much power. It seems power just keeps going up. I'd bet depending upon the reception of the 42X that NF will introduce scopes in the 45 or 55X power range eventually. I've been very impressed with the 55X in the competition variable model with clarity and usability even in pretty heavy mirage. Because of weight I think the fixed power will be well received in short range BR.

Back