Good Floating Reamer Holder

Let us just wonder for a moment and say we cut a perfectly dimensioned chamber whose centerline at the case mouth perfectly intersects the centerline of the bore axis at that point but the chamber axis is tilted 3 degrees. Then in loading, we jam the bullet into that perfect chamber's leade area. Would this 3 degree tilt of a jammed bullet effect, or cause, on-bore yaw?

Could it, would it.?

I can see where an off center chamber, whose axis is parallel to the bore axis but is off center 0.003" could cause a problem.

Let us just wonder for a moment and say we cut a perfectly dimensioned chamber whose centerline at the case mouth perfectly intersects the centerline of the bore axis at that point but the chamber axis is tilted 3 degrees. Then in loading, we jam the bullet into that perfect chamber's leade area. Would this 3 degree tilt of a jammed bullet effect, or cause, on-bore yaw?

Could it, would it.?

I can see where an off center chamber, whose axis is parallel to the bore axis but is off center 0.003" could cause a problem.

And why bring these two unrelated concepts in? First of all I'm not sure HOW the second mess could be accomplished but moreso, WHY? Are you proposing some sort of test?

I can't see any reason to interject these ideas t unless it's to test just how much various misalignments affect accuracy?

Lot of work for no gain IMO, and I test A LOT.

Or are you implying something?

I feel it's more likely that you're impugning my methods, implying in some oblique fashion that something in my chambering method could produce chambers "cocked to bore centerline" and even chambers "parallel to, but offset by 3 thou from, the bore centerline"

Care to explain? Out in the open, on the forum, in this thread would be good......

Isn't Bill Gebhart still with us?

I went to Bills (big bird) Facebook page and it is nearly blank...no recent posts, etc.

Edit-I don't think Bill ever healed from his "crotch cannon" accident. Not long after that he sold the Bald Eagle business I think.

Last edited:
And why bring these two unrelated concepts in? First of all I'm not sure HOW the second mess could be accomplished but moreso, WHY? Are you proposing some sort of test?

I can't see any reason to interject these ideas t unless it's to test just how much various misalignments affect accuracy?

Lot of work for no gain IMO, and I test A LOT.

Or are you implying something?

I feel it's more likely that you're impugning my methods, implying in some oblique fashion that something in my chambering method could produce chambers "cocked to bore centerline" and even chambers "parallel to, but offset by 3 thou from, the bore centerline"

Care to explain? Out in the open, on the forum, in this thread would be good......

Al, out in the open, and on this forum.

First, I have no idea how you chamber nor do I care.

The thinking of a reamed chamber being out of concentricity any significant amount would for sure effect accuracy. If the reamer is cocked across the centerline, 1) the leade ramps would be unequal, and, 2) the chamber body would be oversized in relation to the reamers actual diameter.

Secondly, for this operation to take place, the barrel would have to be stationary and the reamer would have to rotate. I think someone mentioned using a hand drill.

Geeesh!!!!

I went to Bills (big bird) Facebook page and it is nearly blank...no recent posts, etc.

Edit-I don't think Bill ever healed from his "crotch cannon" accident. Not long after that he sold the Bald Eagle business I think.

Jim Borden just emailed and said Bill was still around.

Why not a squishy coonnection

between the reamer and tailstock like a rubber hose section or some of that squishy polymer stuff? Something like that should find a neutral path radially, I would think. Soft but sturdy. I couldn't seem to get myself to like two flat surfaces. I use a ball imbedded in a tail stock arbor but am not convinced it is the best thing.

Pete

between the reamer and tailstock like a rubber hose section or some of that squishy polymer stuff? Something like that should find a neutral path radially, I would think. Soft but sturdy. I couldn't seem to get myself to like two flat surfaces. I use a ball imbedded in a tail stock arbor but am not convinced it is the best thing.

Pete

How about one of those flexible shaft extensions for 1/4 inch drive ratchet

Pete

With what I think you are proposing you are going to have trouble controlling depth (headspace).

You will probably get s bunch of chatter too.

Making a floating pusher is no big deal and they do work.

Probably so

With what I think you are proposing you are going to have trouble controlling depth (headspace).

You will probably get s bunch of chatter too.

Making a floating pusher is no big deal and they do work.

I guess it was naïve of me to think that something as simple as I offered would not have been tried previously. The ball arrangement I have seemed to work fine. I have made stop collars for my reamers so that I don't go too far.

Pete

Heres my holder. The idea behind it is, its round so it cant grab your hand. Also being round makes it easier to hold the reamer without influencing it. Theres a ball bearing pressed in the holder and its pushed by a ground piece of carbide. I measure every chamber, they measure what the reamer does and I have never had a run out or chatter issue. I am pleased with it.

Attachments

• DSC_0114.JPG
    DSC_0114.JPG
    854.1 KB · Views: 848
  • DSC_0115.JPG
    DSC_0115.JPG
    760.3 KB · Views: 763
Reamer Holder.

Heres my holder. The idea behind it is, its round so it cant grab your hand. Also being round makes it easier to hold the reamer without influencing it. Theres a ball bearing pressed in the holder and its pushed by a ground piece of carbide. I measure every chamber, they measure what the reamer does and I have never had a run out or chatter issue. I am pleased with it.

That`s the best one I`ve seen.........
Thank You..
bill

Nice, and simple. I like it.

ok. i'll play the devils advocate.
it will work well, if and only if the tailstock is dead nuts on...off just a little and so will the chamber.
the possible flaw in the design, is that it is not "floating". it is on a single pivot point.
so when dead center all is good, but even a little off center,
and the back end will be oversize.

it will work well, if and only if the tailstock is dead nuts on...off just a little and so will the chamber.
the possible flaw in the design, is that it is not "floating". it is on a single pivot point.

That's what I was seeing but I didn't say anything because
I really like the idea and there is a simple way to fix that
Stick a piece of half inch 1018 or something in tail stock and true it with a centre cutting endmill in the spindle just prior to chambering.

I think I'll make one and try it out. Thanks Alex
In fact I already drew one up in mastercam

just to be clear..alex shoots well. and builds great rifles.

That's what I was seeing but I didn't say anything because
I really like the idea and there is a simple way to fix that
Stick a piece of half inch 1018 or something in tail stock and true it with a centre cutting endmill in the spindle just prior to chambering.

I think I'll make one and try it out. Thanks Alex
In fact I already drew one up in mastercam

He is not pushing it with a dead center. Just pushing with a flat surface and the reamer simply follows the perfect bored hole. I run a similar set up with similar results and my tailstock sits high. When the needle on the DTI doesn't budge after reaming...something must be straight, lol.

Back