Good All-Around 308Win Reamer Advice

cl5man

I want to build a couple "tactical" style rifles in 308 win. I dont own a reamer for this caliber but im going to purchase one for these two builds. Id like a universal chamber that will provide both a "tight" fit but also be big enough to chamber any commercial ammo with very little effort. Id like a reamer with a minimum amount of freebore but still be able to use a heavier bullet. What are some of the specs for a few of the reamers you guys have had made? I would tend to think that these guns will primarily be used with bulletsa little on the heavier side, maybe 168 or 175gr. Id like the end user to be able to load this size of bullet into the lands without hazardous OAL measurments.

I have a Clymer Palma reamer which I like OK. I also have an Obermeyer Match from PTG. I have standard reamer with no throat which I use a lot and a tight neck (334) reamer I use for the occasional hunter rifle.
I have another reamer I got just for "F" class rifles (Leeper "F") from PTG and I'm quite happy with this one. It has enough throat to allow me to use most bullets while keeping them ahead of the neck/shoulder juncture yet I can still use some shorter bullets if I want.
In general, I would be perfectly happy with a no-throat reamer and cut the throat as required with an appropriate throater. Regards, Bill.

I want to build a couple "tactical" style rifles in 308 win. I dont own a reamer for this caliber but im going to purchase one for these two builds. Id like a universal chamber that will provide both a "tight" fit but also be big enough to chamber any commercial ammo with very little effort. Id like a reamer with a minimum amount of freebore but still be able to use a heavier bullet. What are some of the specs for a few of the reamers you guys have had made? I would tend to think that these guns will primarily be used with bulletsa little on the heavier side, maybe 168 or 175gr. Id like the end user to be able to load this size of bullet into the lands without hazardous OAL measurments.

My favorite is the PTG 95' Palma Match...you can call Dave Kiff on this reamer...it can make a "silk purse out of a cows ear"

Eddie in Texas

I want to build a couple "tactical" style rifles in 308 win. I would tend to think that these guns will primarily be used with bulletsa little on the heavier side, maybe 168 or 175gr.

I suggest you dismiss the 168 from primary consideration, and use the 175 SMK as the default, or another bullet that you can readily get in quantity that performs well past 600y. The 175 SMK is clearly superior to its 168 counterpart. I mention both of them in case that's the way you're leaning, i.e. the loads prevalent in the US military for the .308.

A 1:12" bore twist will stabilize the 175 SMK and will likely be very accurate. However, were I building another .308, I'd choose a 1:10" in case I wanted to shoot the 190 SMK or some of the Berger bullets.

As to reamer, I do love me the '95 Palma as another reader has already suggested.

Target vs Tactical use, what reamer..

Target shooters using a .308 Win tend to shoot tighter free bores than hunters or tactical shooters. Due to accuracy vs reliability. Most target shooters cut their throats .3085" most hunters (SAAMI) and Tactical shooters cut their throats .310". Also SAAMI throats are cut longer to shoot a wider gammit of bullets (lengths) and to control pressure issues. Fouling and jamming also play into the equation. I beleive Dave Kiff list 8 or 9 different .308 chamber reamers in their book. Talking to Dave I have found that Remington, Winchester, Savage, all start with some variation of SAAMI spec reamers as does the Military.
Nat Lambeth

Back