Getting Started-Savage Rifles

kujones

Kjones
I'm thinking about getting into Factory/Stock class and am looking at Savage rimfire rifles. They are using the Accutrigger and "look" OK. Does anyone have experience with Savage rimfire rifles?

I don't have an answer but I have the same question you do and am looking at savage rimfire also so I hope some one answers our question. I am just starting so I don't want to put a lot of money in a rifle until I see how it goes I am a little old and shakey but not dead yet.

No one want to speak ill of any gun but we want to promote the sport and try to get new shooters started right. The fear is that you will spend your budget on a gun that wont compete and then you will get discouraged and quit or go to another game. New is not inherintly better than used and several used gun would be as good or better than a new savage. Certainly more upgradeable. I know you are starting in a factory class and those rules will vary from club to club but you may want to go to registered matches in the future. Before commiting to the savage please look at a used 40x, Anschutz 54, or Suhl.

I have to agree with what Don stated but will also add in the Winchester 52 as a possible choice. I will also stick my neck out and state for a completely stock class the CZ is hard to beat for the money.

i have a savage/anschutz in 95% cond. floated and bedded. Shoots great 500 + shipping. 2702611078

I have a savage mark 11 that I use for what our club calls Barn Yard shoots. It likes Federal 711B real well and shoots great. In fact I am going to shoot an ARA target with it to see how it will do. There are a lot of Mark11's in our club and all the shooters speak very highly of them. My 2 cents worth........Slim

I understand what you guys are saying about getting started with the right gear but I can get more use out of a "factory class" rifle than a competition grade rifle. My goal in any shooting competition is to improve my ability in the field with field grade equipment. It's the indian not the arrow.

Factory Sporters are a fun class to shoot. You will usually see anything from your entry level bolt actions up to the high end Annies and Coopers. I personally have shot in the Factory sporter class ever since I was a kid and have been happy with that class. The problem is the rules change for match to match depending on where you shoot.

For the most part in this class, Annies (1710 & 1712) and Coopers seem to always hang at the top for current factory sporters. As for older guns the Winchester 52's, Brno's, Remingtons 54x & 58x, Sako's, and older Annies (Savage/Anschultz) seem to all be solid performers.

For the Sub $600 rifles you will find it becomes hit or miss. You may find a rifle to be a tack driver, but more than likely its going to be a good shooting hunting rifle. In the sub $600 range, I find more CZ's to be competitive than Savages, but I have seen the Savages be competitive.

The biggest thing in the factory class is finding a gun that you can get the trigger down to a good level. I have seen one Savage in the 5oz range, but most of them are closer to 9 or 10 oz triggers. The CZ triggers are easy to work on and can be worked down to the 6-8oz range fairly easy. Some will go lighter, but it becomes hit or miss beyond that.

But as posted before jump into the sport and you will learn alot. Money does not always mean you will get a tack driver, but it sure does help the chances. But you never know until you get in a try one out. But it takes alot of testing to find what ammo and lots a gun likes, so dont just think because you mix high end ammo and a high end gun it will drive tacks... Then comes the scope factor, which can be a bigger delima than the actual gun was.

For very simmilar reasons I bought a Savage MKII BV and couldn't be happier. It has shot in the 1s for both my wife and I at 50 yards. I usually can't do that well but like you said, it's the Indian not the arrow.

Back