Getting back to weighing powder

The problem with annealing cases for short range is that with one of the most popular powders, (133) neck tension is at a premium, especially with necks that are as thin as they are. Also, records are shot with thrown charges, (The distances are more tolerant of velocity spread.) something that I doubt that anyone does at 1,000. Different games, different realities. I do try to sort by seating force feel, since that does not lessen neck tension, and I think that it is a good idea. I may trade into a K&M arbor press that has a force gauge to make this a little more precise.

Boyd, Neck tension is at a premium at 1000 and i keep mine as close as i can or you get vertical, i run .0102 necks. I anneal every time to keep them as close as i can from match to match. The big plus is long life of the cases,and size as little as possible. I can keep the neck tension at a 2 lb. variance in my sets 30 lb. is the middle of the road……. jim

Last edited:
Charles, No, thats not me. I know jim Lorenz very well. I have never shot williamsport,just check SOY points or Va 1000 and Harry Jones match reports. i shot the national at Whitehorse 2012 also. I only started IBS 1000 3 years and only shot two full time and accumulated 51 points. I did shoot short range for awhile in the mid 90's…. Jim O'Hara

jim

Charles, I saw that jim1k and thought it was Jim Lorentz also. Jim1k straightened me out quick. When I saw it said southwest pa. I thought for sure it was Lorentz, but the other jim private messaged me and straightened me out. I met him at 2012 Nationals.

This is a topic that seems to get kicked around a lot. Here is what I tried. I have a Harrell's powder measure that I thought was very accurate. This is with the finer powders like 133, 8208 and Benchmark. Just for kicks I compared charges from my Harrell measure and my old Belding and Mull measure that was made in the 50's. What I found was that the Harrell did not throw charges near as consistently as the old Belding and Mull. I did this about three years ago and since then my Harrell dosn't get much use. If you are fortunate to have one of the old Belding and Mull's give it a try. I would bet your results would be very similar. These were very accurate throwers!!

Back