Getting 22 Ammo In California

Lynn

To those that have been following it ASsembly Bill 962 was signed into law by the Governator and no more pistol ammo can be shipped in after February 2011 to include 22 long rifle.
Waterboy

Looks like California now has total gun control. Almost any ammo can be shot in some kind of pistol. Can you roll your own?

Lynn,

Haven't been following the state bills in California, so what's the intentions of such a bill. I assume that one will still be able to purchase ammo within state? Is it for tax purposes? Being able to track who purchases ammo maybe? Seems that the state leaders would be focusing getting the state out of debt. Of course if they think that it will help curtail crime then they've been watching to many of the movies they make.

Les

Wouldn't it have to be made in California? Can't ship it in or does that mean you have to go through an FFL or something. The anti gunners finally figured out to go after the ammo. Sure took them a long time to figure it out.

Sales in California
Filed under: Bullets, Brass, Ammo, News — Editor @ 8 am
California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger signed AB 962 yesterday. Consequently, effective February 1, 2011, Californians will have to provide complete personal information, plus a thumbprint, to buy pistol ammunition. In addition, the bill requires that all pistol ammo sales be “face to face”. This could effectively ban mail-order ammunition sales in California. Cabela’s, a leading outdoor retailer, has told customers that it will stop shipping ammo to California if AB 962 became law.

Though AB 962 was designed to control pistol ammunition purchases, it will also affect rifle ammunition sales because California law defining pistol ammo is broad and vague. Basically, AB 962 could be extended to virtually any ammo which has ever been used in a pistol. That certainly will include 22LR, 22 Magnum, .221 Fireball, and .223 Rem for starters.

Gov. Schwarzenegger vetoed similar legislation a few years ago, based on the fact that a similar federal scheme had been tried and later abandoned as a complete failure. However, the Governor reversed himself, explaining: “Although I have previously vetoed legislation similar to this measure, local governments have demonstrated that requiring ammunition vendors to keep records on ammunition sales improves public safety. These records have allowed law enforcement to arrest and prosecute persons who have no business possessing firearms and ammunition: gang members, violent parolees, second and third strikers, and even people previously serving time in state prison for murder. Moreover, this type of record keeping is no more intrusive for law abiding citizens than similar laws governing pawnshops or the sale of cold medicine.”

Beau
It looks like I need to be finger printed to shoot a squirrel in California next year.
Waterboy

maybe we could sell kalifornia back. where's that guy that bought alaska when you need him.:D

I am glad that I live in the United States of America and not California!

I wish that I could claim originality for that line, but it came from rimfirecentral not long ago.

"The last man to say something and know it to be original, was probably Adam!"
Mark Twain

Sorry for those in California who have to put up with all of the assaults on the Constitution.

Greg

The main problem in California is the Los Angeles area.If you look at a map we are about the size of 5 eastcoast states but in one county they have all of the votes needed to override the entire rest of the state.
Waterboy

Sorry for the shooters in California, there are some good people out there as in all the states, who have to put up with such morons. But, those in other states should be on notice that what starts out there tends to bleed over to the other states as well. People need to wake up and take notice, once the Washington buch gets through screwing up everything else, gun control is coming to a place near you, maybe even to your place.

Sorry for the shooters in California, there are some good people out there as in all the states, who have to put up with such morons. But, those in other states should be on notice that what starts out there tends to bleed over to the other states as well. People need to wake up and take notice, once the Washington buch gets through screwing up everything else, gun control is coming to a place near you, maybe even to your place.

Right on Kent.... I'm sure NY will not be far behind as they have been trying for something like this for years and now have the votes (Democraps) to make it happen. Texas and Arizona are looking better all the time

The tip of the iceberg

We will set on rearends and do nothing now they no the laws can pass on ammo we are in a tizzy

Has anyone read this thing? On another forum there is a quote saying it it limiting purchaces to 50 rds a month to anyone not licenced as a dealer and that components qualify as ammo. That would mean that you could not buy a box of more than 50 bullets for reloading....sounds strange.

Hi All,
There is a saying "as goes California, so goes the country". This hasn't been holding true for the past 5 years or so. I lived and worked in Northern Calif. for several years and can attest to the fact that it should be two separate states.
I would agree that the bad guys cannot shoot the good guys without bullets, but how to get from here to there is just beyond me.
tim

Most

Most if not all Bad Guys, don't buy their Guns & Ammo. They steal it, just like the polititions do our hard earned money and savings.

Well, the road rage people and the gangs will have to reload their own
using cast bullets. The good side of this is that lead in Calif causes
cancer, so we will see an increase in Social Security death benefits.
That of course will be paid to illegal aliens. On the bright side of this
however, Arnold will have to hire a thousand people to police this
new law, and that will weigh on taxpayers. The other side of this is
that sales tax revenues on ammo will go down, so the funds will have to come from elsewhere. Probably a government grant, or subside. Now I have no idea what the monthly usage is for your typical driveby shooter, but I'm sure that a limit of 50 rds will make calif a safer place. The average car only has 4 fenders, 6 windows and 4 tires and a driver. someone please tell me
how a limit of 50 rds will minimize his affectiveness.

Will 22 ammo be available mail order or require a thumbprint if you buy locally? Maybe. The language in the bill explains.

The pertinent section on face-to-face transactions includes this definition of handgun ammunition.

"Handgun ammunition" means handgun ammunition as defined in
subdivision (a) of Section 12323, but excluding ammunition designed
and intended to be used in an "antique firearm" as defined in Section
921(a)(16) of Title 18 of the United States Code. Handgun ammunition
does not include blanks.

12323 says:

As used in this chapter, the following definitions shall apply:

(a)"Handgun ammunition" means ammunition principally for use in pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed upon the person, as defined in subdivision (a) of Section 12001, notwithstanding that the ammunition may also be used in some rifles.

The question everyone has is, what does "principally" mean? Not surprisingly, this can be interpreted later, which means it could go either way. I do not know how anyone could definitively state and prove whether 22LR ammo is used more in handguns or rifles. Until it is made clear, expect vendors to refuse to ship 22LR to California, erring on the cautious side. Law takes effect 2/1/2011.

Some people have said that at Wal-Marts, they were asked if the ammo was for a handgun or rifle. I can't believe that would be a proposed solution, but who knows, think of the nutty questions asked when you buy a gun in this state.

- Phil

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone read this thing? On another forum there is a quote saying it it limiting purchaces to 50 rds a month to anyone not licenced as a dealer and that components qualify as ammo. That would mean that you could not buy a box of more than 50 bullets for reloading....sounds strange.

Not really.. remember what state and who wrote it

Back