Full Length Sizing Question

What is a no-turn chamber?
Standard chamber neck size to fit brass right out of the box vs a tight neck chamber that you need to turn the necks down to gain clearance for firing the round and sometimes to even chamber it.

In a 6 BR a .272" - .273" chamber neck is "no turn" on most brass. Many match guns will run say a .268" chamber neck.

What is a no-turn chamber?
No need to turn the brass for it to fit, hopefully, with proper and adequate clearance.. It's been working great for a few years now, with a National championship and maybe a couple of national yardage wins on top of that. I'm not the only one toying with it again and seeing good results.

Standard chamber neck size to fit brass right out of the box vs a tight neck chamber that you need to turn the necks down to gain clearance for firing the round and sometimes to even chamber it.

In a 6 BR a .272" - .273" chamber neck is "no turn" on most brass. Many match guns will run say a .268" chamber neck.
I'm guessing that it is the minimum SAAMI chamber neck size....and is the rest of the chamber cut minimum? I ask because if I get tired of my tight neck chamber, I will know what to ask for.

I'm guessing that it is the minimum SAAMI chamber neck size....and is the rest of the chamber cut minimum? I ask because if I get tired of my tight neck chamber, I will know what to ask for.

Well there's saami then there's everything else but there's also a range to saami specs I believe but a saami spec chamber should be no turn necks again I believe.
There are also no turn reamers / chambers that have adjusted specs at the .200" line, shoulder, lead etc.
All of which is pretty important to making sure your FL sizing die works as it should.

Well there's saami then there's everything else but there's also a range to saami specs I believe but a saami spec chamber should be no turn necks again I believe.
There are also no turn reamers / chambers that have adjusted specs at the .200" line, shoulder, lead etc.
All of which is pretty important to making sure your FL sizing die works as it should.
Thanks, I appreciate that.

I have pulled up SAAMI specs out of curiosity in the past. They give a range of permissible values for chambers and for ammo I suppose so that they will all work together.

On the annealing unless I score an AMP off a prize table someday this will probably be the next annealer I buy if the Annealeze lays down

Looks simple and all the reviews I've read have been positive. This machine eliminates the need to change and time the rollers on the Annealeze when switching from small to medium to large cases.

The Bench Source machines are very nice as well and come up used in classifieds for <$500 fairly often

Last edited:
consistancy is the clue to good ammo.
ya really need to learn to size to fit your chamber, not commercial die makers instructions.
anneal is a step in being the same every time.
do not go big on chamber to neck clearance your giving up the design
i would ask known small group shooters to look at your rifles and tell you what the think...

On the annealing unless I score an AMP off a prize table someday this will probably be the next annealer I buy if the Annealeze lays down

Looks simple and all the reviews I've read have been positive. This machine eliminates the need to change and time the rollers on the Annealeze when switching from small to medium to large cases.

The Bench Source machines are very nice as well and come up used in classifieds for <$500 fairly often

Thanks.....the price looks good too.

Back