Fuel Economy

O

Old Timer

I hear and see all the advertisements on how much mileage brand A gets and brand B is even better and now they have hybreds that do so darn good, and I laugh.

In 2000 I purchased my wife a new Pontiac Bonneville with a 3800 V6 no turbo just a plain 3800 V6 and in 2000 this 4 door car that was like a rocket sled on rails when you mashed the peddal, got an amazing 30 miles per gallon.

Dont be fooled, GM stock may be down because they mfgcr some big cars, but they can build them just as good as anyone and they are kickin ass and takin names, Toyota is suckin hind tit.

Nuf said OT

Rivers

Denial, boy I am talkin facts here not some pumped up advertisement for some darn match box cars. I was around when those Toyotas came along in the first big oil pinch. They have not changed one bit, just got a fancy paint job and some cow skin on the seats. Chevy and Ford built this country, Toyota is just riding on the back of GM down the path that GM carved out for ther slant eyed buts.
There is a Toyota plant 25 miles from my house, they are hurting so bad they are serving crichets and rice in the cafateria.:D

If you are smiling, you aint paying attention.
OT

A Dream?

Hell man its reality look arround you. Beef Eaters drive Chevy's. My daddy had a chevy with a 454 in it, I have had so many 350's I've baught a tanker of oil in my life. This is America man if you cave in to those darn toy trucks ya might as well let your wife drive you ar take the bus.

Not me, I'll be passin you in my 327 Vortec jamin on some AC DC and you hippies will be clickin your chop sticks, watching Charlie Chan. Ahh-So number 1 son, you eat much fry rice.:D wheres that D at tell him I am lookin 4 him:D

Yeh!! This is why GM is looking to borrow $3,000,000. Don't like it but Toyota ain't sucking on the rear one. BTY Old Timer take a look at your cloths-shoes ect. mostly imported, computer you're on, imported the list goes on & on & on. Charge forward to W/M for more chinese junk, look close even the Bibles are printed in china. It's all the dollar.

GM/Ford?

30mpg? must have been up on blocks when you documented it. Look at the Consumer's report-check the resale value-repair history-etc. Stan-share your sport:)

tomg 5o

I Saw The List Of The Ten Highest Gas Mileage Cars Made And Chevy , Dodge, Ford Was Not Evn In It ---go By You A Chevy Dodge Or Ford And Keep It A Year And Take It Back To Trade It In They Wont Hardley Give You Nothing For It -- Try That With A Honda,toyota. Nissan And See The Difference-- I Own Three Chevys One Dodge And Two Hondas:)

Toyota still isn't hurting like Chrysler, GM, or Ford though. But you got to remember this, too, GM is one of the biggest lenders in the US. GM owns a lot of financial lending companies. GM has their foot in a lot of other things that are still making them money.

About 2 months ago, I purchased an older VW Golf for the gas milage (35 mpg hwy.) because my 4 wheel drive Ranger was driving me broke (19 mpg). Problem is, I've spent more time and money fixing the VW in the past 2 months than I have on the truck 13 years and 200K miles.

Denial, boy I am talkin facts here not some pumped up advertisement for some darn match box cars. I was around when those Toyotas came along in the first big oil pinch. They have not changed one bit, just got a fancy paint job and some cow skin on the seats. Chevy and Ford built this country, Toyota is just riding on the back of GM down the path that GM carved out for ther slant eyed buts.
There is a Toyota plant 25 miles from my house, they are hurting so bad they are serving crichets and rice in the cafateria.:D

If you are smiling, you aint paying attention.
OT

Git'em, Old Timer. The sound of stock Corvette exhaust or the deep slurp of a wide open Q-Jet is music you will never hear from those 4-bangers.

Yeh you're right about the money amount. When numbers get that big I get confused. Obviously I'm not a politician. Ha-Ha

Opinion

Everyone has one. Growing up, my dad sold used cars, as did my grandfather. I myself was a really bad car salesman, before I went to school. I drive a Toyota Tundra, my wife drives a camry, my son drives a prerunner truck, his wife a camry. My son in law dlrives a Tundra, and my daughter a lexus SUV. She is a Dr. and can drive what she wants. My point is, in 62 years of life, I have never seen any vehicle with the reliability of a Toyota. Buy what you want, but facts are facts, and the fact is that a Toyota is an extrmely reliable machine. MY opinion, Rusty Carr

Rusty, my son drives a Honda Accord with 140k on it and all I've ever done to it is change the oil and put brake pads on it.

My last truck was a GMC Sonoma. Good truck up till 160k and then a cylinder went to pumping oil. Alot of oil but it was still a good truck that never left me stranded except for the time I locked my keys in it at the river and had to bust out the back windshield. But I can't blame that one on the truck.

Todays vehicles are so much better than they were, but they could be so much better.

All the years of being a diesel mechanic, we ran trucks upwards to 600k to 700k without inframe overhauls. And these trucks caught it day in and day out. I know the manufacturers could build a vehicle to last a whole lot longer than they do, but I also know why they won't...........

I'll put the Honda Accord and the Honda Civic up against any American car for going the long haul. They are 2 of the best cars period for durability.

tomg50

I Think The Gm Cars Are As Good As Any Made Today But They Dont Have Any Resale Value

Take your time and watch this all the way to the end. If you're not familiar with "Top Gear", it's a BBC program and it's a riot to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPH7tcxAZdg

PS. My girlfriend from some time ago, bought a VW Passat. My 5.7L LT1 Formula w/6Spd /3.43 gears got better fuel mileage. I coulda drag raced it while towing a Tahoe.

Back