Front tube on a rimfire tuner?

Lak

Will someone please educate me and explain the purpose of a front tube on a rimfire tuner?
Thank you in advance...

Will someone please educate me and explain the purpose of a front tube on a rimfire tuner?
Thank you in advance...

Lak,

As innocent as your question is you could start a riot by asking it.

Many will tell you that tube is useless. Many take them off.

Others will tell you it allows the bullet to release from the rifling in a still (no wind) environment.

Still others will give you all kinds of explanations of what it does or doesn't do.

But like so many things you will never know until you try one. Good luck.

TKH (4628)

Like Tony said, experience varies.

I think they do just two things, being the 1st much more pronounced than the 2nd...
1st - more weight
2nd - some wind protection

I have used one with great success when I shot RWS R50. In fact, it was the only way I get to tune my rifle to those bullets.
When I start shooting Lapua, on the contrary, I never get a correct tune with them, so I stop using the front tubes.

See, you have to try, and decide for yourself.

Like Tony said, experience varies.

I think they do just two things, being the 1st much more pronounced than the 2nd...
1st - more weight
2nd - some wind protection

I have used one with great success when I shot RWS R50. In fact, it was the only way I get to tune my rifle to those bullets.
When I start shooting Lapua, on the contrary, I never get a correct tune with them, so I stop using the front tubes.

See, you have to try, and decide for yourself.

All that I can say is my Anschutz shoots better with the Pappas Limp Noodle installed. That is with Midas+.

Serious rimfire benchrest shooters have a huge number of options for what they can hang off of the fronts of their barrels and slide or clamp on behind it. My feeling is that many can afford to try many things and stick with what works, less of an engineering exercise than cut and try.

Serious rimfire benchrest shooters have a huge number of options for what they can hang off of the fronts of their barrels and slide or clamp on behind it. My feeling is that many can afford to try many things and stick with what works, less of an engineering exercise than cut and try.

Yep.

Some of the local indoor rimfire shooters use a tuner and bloop tube with a dovetail cut in it to mount the front sight (aperture sights).
This extends the sight radius.

annie sights, tube extension mount , gets you to proper distance between front and rear for 1/10 impact movement per click, small bore target is 10 clicks per ring. I do not remember the actual numbers any more, metric system of course.

Back