Free recoil vs a hard or medium hold?

As a new guy, can I make an observation related to the original question?

I'm not an expert by any means, but I find that I find I shoot consistently better at one club range than another...and the only reason I can figure is the height relationship of the bench to the stool.

At one club range, it seems like I'm always fiddling with my position: moving the front rest forward or back, repositioning the rifle, pushing the stool in/out, etc...to get the best position.

At the other club range, it seems like once I find my position, it's easy to shoot, and just as important, it's easy to re-acquire that comfortable position after a cease-fire.

The only thing I can come up with to account for this is the height relationship between the bench and stool...or something related to that. Next time I go to these two ranges, I'm going to measure the various heights of the stools and benches.

Anyone else notice that situation, or is everyone very comfortable constantly making those tiny adjustments in position?

Let me suggest that you get your own adjustable stool. One cannot shoot best if he/she is uncomfortable at the bench. Good shooting...James Mock

Let me suggest that you get your own adjustable stool. One cannot shoot best if he/she is uncomfortable at the bench. Good shooting...James Mock

I use a "drummer's throne" which is a stout, compact 3-legged stool, height-adjustable, w/ a round, padded seat. The pro quality ones can be expensive, but I bought one MIC from a local music store for $30. I use it w/ my homemade shooting bench in the field, and also take it to the local county shooting range as well, since their seats are not height-adjustable.

This one is representative:

http://www.amazon.com/GP-Percussion...id=1428693682&sr=8-3&keywords=drummers+throne

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a "drummer's throne" which is a stout, compact 3-legged stool, height-adjustable, w/ a round, padded seat. The pro quality ones can be expensive, but I bought one MIC from a local music store for $30. I use it w/ my homemade shooting bench in the field, and also take it to the local county shooting range as well, since their seats are not height-adjustable.

This one is representative:

http://www.amazon.com/GP-Percussion...id=1428693682&sr=8-3&keywords=drummers+throne

Thanks! Had not thought about that kind of seat...

rick3

Just out of curiosity, I did a search on Amazon for other "adjustable stools"...

How'd you like to shoot sitting on this?

wobble stool.jpg

The important thing is the distance from the bench top to the top of what you are sitting on (including compression of padding. It has been my observation that many stools do not go low enough to get into the best shooting position for a lot of shooting benches. Ideally, if you were at a range that you are going to use a lot,, you could figure out a way to try different seating heights, by either borrowing someones adjustable stool and trying different seat heights, or by working with something that is a little too short, and piling things on it. In any case, once a comfortable height has been found, it is a good idea to measure and note the height of the bench, that of the seating surface, and from seat to bench top. for example, for a bench that is 34" high, I like a stool that is around 18" tall. If you are going to buy an adjustable stool, it is best to have done your homework beforehand, because many stools are too tall for the best fit for shooting. Even rear bag height can get into this, or type of rest. If you use a lead sled type of rest to sight in high recoil rifles, you probably have already noticed that they require taller seating to get behind a rifle, but for an ordinary rest and rear sand bag, that stool height would be too tall.

If you're going to shoot competition benchrest, and travel to different ranges, you need an adjustable stool. Don't get too fancy at first and you'll be OK. When you see the "STOOL", you'll know it. Some of the better stools out there are those things at the range where you put rocks in the tube to adjust the height. Try not to get one that causes trouble getting it to the range...and carrying it around while you're there. Think SuperShoot even if you don't plan on going at the moment.

Our private range liked this one so much,they replaced all the stools on the Rifle range with these.

What Wilbur says is spot on.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/shooting-accessories/benchrest-equipment/shooting-stool-prod33584.aspx

That's about as good as it gets. Would be better (in my opinion) if it had a little less leg diameter, fewer legs or both but that would only make it easier to haul and carry around. I believe this is the stool I ended up with...and was happy.

I've had the sinclair

That's about as good as it gets. Would be better (in my opinion) if it had a little less leg diameter, fewer legs or both but that would only make it easier to haul and carry around. I believe this is the stool I ended up with...and was happy.

Stool for years....the very best on I've ever used.

Back