For you Model 70 lovers

More impressive is the fact that this company has a large facility that makes this new Model 70 and many other gun parts, in the US. Remember that John Browning went to this Belgium based company but this is now mostly US.

With the money going to the Belgium goverment not staying in the USA.
Browning is owned by them too, and a large number of US military arms are produced by them also.
Since 1997, Herstal Group has been 100% owned by the Walloon Region of Belgium. With manufacturing locations in Belgium, US, Portugal and Japan, the global Herstal Group provides employment to a workforce of about 3,000 people.

http://www.fnherstal.com/index.php?id=161

Every FN M16/M4 I ever shot was a piece of crap. 1.5 inch 3 shot groups at 25yds were the norm. At one time 600 M16A2's came in for the Marine Corp and were inspected by a Naval Depot prior to distribution...all 600 failed and were sent back.

Hovis

I'll be blunt....

.....To me, there is no Model 70 except for the Pre-64's.

I have shot and seen some post 64's (control feed) from the custom shop that were outstanding, but I just like the older ones better. I especially like the ones that had the front sight milled / machined from the bbl before being sweated on.

Too cool.....

pf
<><

Jerry

Glad to see the new Model 70. If Jim Carmichel likes it, that's more than good enough for me.

Tony

;)

The latest issue of The American Rifleman has a write up on the new M70. The rifle never broke 2" avg @100 yds useing 3 different loads, and agg`ed 2.33" for the day. These were 5 rd groups not 3 shots, but still not what I`d expect from new tooling and suposedly better quality control.
The rifle appears to assembled from parts supplied by various companies, and the great old M70 trigger is a thing of the past. I`m not real impressed.....But, JMO

They busted the union and moved south.
Butch

Well, I think it's more like "the union busted them"..... and then they found a buyer and moved south.

This is the more common scenario, it's easier to declare bankrupcy and send everybody down the road than to "bust the union".

al

Read the American Rifleman article about the Model 70...

It appears most of the parts are jobbed out, nothing wrong with that, and the assembly is what is commonly done with modern firearms-no single forged bolt as an example, and I am guessing a fair amount of MIM parts. Economics dictates how a firearm is made and assembled, and unless you want to start to pay $3,000+ for a rifle made with the same technique and application as pre-64s, notice I did not write technology, be satisfied with what you can buy for $1,000. At what you earn these days, corrected for inflation, modern firearms are a bargain, and a monument to modern production techniques, compared to those made in the 1950s. All that said, I prefer firearms made with "traditional" methods, such as forgings, etc., and am willing to pay for same. That said, I also own my share of Ruger 77s, and etc.

Please guys....heed my warning...give them some time and see how they work out. I'll gaurantee I've shot more FN manufactured guns than anyone here...unless you have extra money...hold on to your horses and see what the actual production guns do. State of the Art facility is a sales pitch.

Hovis

Ruger's

Do not owen any 77's 2 m-70's one pre. One post but almost all of my revolvers are rugers yea i know theirs some investment casting but evan if S&W were the same price witch there not i would stile take the rugers,......john59

Alinwa,
I guess that it is all in terminology. They couldn't pay the wages, taxes were too high, and the lawsuit from Rick Jamison led them to seek bankruptcy. They waited out the end of the union contract and restarted in the south. They knew what they were doing. They were having tooling made before they moved south. Hasn't Herstal owned the rifle part for a while and just moved everything to their FN factory?
Butch

Hovis,
I've had a fair # of those FN's in my hands also, and have seen fewer problems with them than the older Colt M16's by a LARGE margin. Although lately the new M4's we're getting in manufactured (stamped) Colt look pretty good. I always liked the FN, probably from my first experience with one in basic. Shot expert all the way through with one and it was VERY accurate.

Back