Follow-Up question on Savage 308 reloading

M

MVW

I find that most of the load data is based on short barrels. My F/TR rifle has a 30" barrel. I would assume that for a given powder charge that the longer barrel will give greater pressure and hence greater speed. Is it common practice to reduce powder drops when using longer barrels to keep muzzle velocities within range?

Thanks, Mike

Published data on loads should merely be used as a starting guideline, start at the lower end of published loads and carefully work your way up carefully monitoring primer flatness and bolt lift. Every rifle is different sometimes much more than the difference of a couple inches of barrel length.

Dick

do a search on palma/long range shooting...they do what you are doing...long bbl'd 308's.....

mike in co

I find that most of the load data is based on short barrels. My F/TR rifle has a 30" barrel. I would assume that for a given powder charge that the longer barrel will give greater pressure and hence greater speed. Is it common practice to reduce powder drops when using longer barrels to keep muzzle velocities within range?

Thanks, Mike

Doesnt matter, peak pressure is the same regardless of barrel length.................Don

longer bbls allow longer time of pressure behind a bullet which can lead to more velocity....

Back