floating reamr holder

Re reamer pushers

Is drilling and preboring the chamber required when using a reamer pusher like the one pictured? I am having some trouble visualizing how it would work without boring the chamber before finish reaming. Thanks TR

Is drilling and preboring the chamber required when using a reamer pusher like the one pictured? I am having some trouble visualizing how it would work without boring the chamber before finish reaming. Thanks TR
When you drill and prebore you are accomplishing three major things.

First, assuming you indicate the chambers future throat area, you are truing the bore at that critical point. Try this, indicate the chamber throat at the point where the chamber neck and leade/freebore meet. At the same time, indicate the muzzle bore at the bullet exit area. Then move the dial indicator back to the bore breech end. You will find the two points, the chamber neck and the chamber base, don't agree meaning the bore is never completely straight.

The second accomplishment of drilling and preboring is removing material that the reamer doesn't have to remove. The reamer being a long limber forming tool is easily deflected by this heavy material removal.

Thirdly, removing the major amount of material with a $3.00 drill helps preserve the $120.00 reamer.

A note from an end user...... I've had maybe 10 people do my chambers and I even paid to go to gunsmithing school, and own a lathe. This has given me an appreciation of my limitations.

My chambers cut by Jim Borden are as far as I can tell identical, even those ordered over the phone years after the gun was made. And without the hassle of sending the rifle back. Not only can I use the same FL dies but I can leave them set up...... this is not meant as an unauthorized plug for Jim and his shop but to illustrate that WHATEVER HE DOES, IT WORKS!

I've a fine appreciation for repeatability.

I have not availed myself of the services of the other fine 'smiths in this thread so am not comparing Jim's work to anyone else contributing here.

al

Back