Flat shooting varment calibre

Just a little something interesting to share. I was bored this AM so I tried some 40 grain v-max in my 22 ppc .100 short with lt32. 26.5 grains shot over 4000fps. That's incredible. That little case smokes a 22-250. That's gotta say something. Lee

Lee, I have no problem kicking 40 gr nosler bt @4300 with a 24 inch barrel

Pelt damage.

I don't do a lot of pelt hunting. But, I've found that I do less damage to the pelt when I use a FMJ bullet from any caliber gun. i.e. .222,.223, 22-250, .243 or even my 6AI. I don't have a .204. But I'm sure it would work as well. If I were going to build another gun I would probably go with a 22PPC .100 short or a 220 Russian with minimul case prep. What are your thoughts on this? I ask because I don't see very many suggesting FMJ's.

James

20 Vartarg with 32 grain ballistic tips would fit the bill. 3800 FPS and deadly accurate. Negligible recoil. Prairie dogs out to 350 are darn near automatic. A fox to 400 should be no problem.

Eric U

Agree with Mr. Myers....

17 MachIV with 30gr Kindler Golds at 3800fps has worked on everything up to coyotes for me. BC of .271 at 3800fps makes it very flat shooting. There was an article a few years ago about a guy in Alaska that used this bullet for wolves out to 400yds in a hotter 17 running them at 4000fps. It's an unbeleivable little bullet the way it works on larger animals (coyotes) as good as a 22-250 or Swift with alot less fur damage. You can get these bullets from Todd Kindler at The Woodchuck Den in eastern Ohio. It takes a 1:9 twist.

John is exactly correct. And the newer 17cal Stainless barrels are a lot less cleaning..... or use coated bullets. Just my experience with them. ;) WD

My experience to date.

I bought a Cooper 20 VarTarg last summer from a friend who had two of them. He said it would shoot in the 1's. I shot it not long after I bought it on a nice mild day and , in fact it was a sub 1's rifle. The next time I shot it was on a rainy day and it wouldn't shoot in the proverbial bucket! I also shot it in our Cooper Shoot last summer and it was not predictable as to where the bullet might go ( hot & humid day). From my experience so far, I am thinking I want a 22 something or other. A friend here has the same rifle with the same situation. His is going to become a 22 something also. I'm not saying the chambering isn't a good one but my experience hasn't been that good thus far.

Pete

Coating Projectiles

John is exactly correct. And the newer 17cal Stainless barrels are a lot less cleaning..... or use coated bullets. Just my experience with them. ;) WD

I Moly coat most of my projectiles especially for Metallic Silhouette and BR .

I bought a Cooper 20 VarTarg last summer from a friend who had two of them. He said it would shoot in the 1's. I shot it not long after I bought it on a nice mild day and , in fact it was a sub 1's rifle. The next time I shot it was on a rainy day and it wouldn't shoot in the proverbial bucket! I also shot it in our Cooper Shoot last summer and it was not predictable as to where the bullet might go ( hot & humid day). From my experience so far, I am thinking I want a 22 something or other. A friend here has the same rifle with the same situation. His is going to become a 22 something also. I'm not saying the chambering isn't a good one but my experience hasn't been that good thus far.

Pete

The chambering is fine, forums are full of reports of that gun/ chamber working great. Do you really think a gun started out good changed its mind? You either need better load development or you did something to the gun.

The chambering is fine, forums are full of reports of that gun/ chamber working great. Do you really think a gun started out good changed its mind? You either need better load development or you did something to the gun.

LOL!

take the Pete!

al

I received the rifle

with 200 loaded rounds. I shot those against some of my loads. My loads were a bit better than the ones I received but I shot some of both on all three outings. I have not touched the rifle other than clean it. What explains my friend's rifle doing the same thing? I think many people are completely satisfied with Minute of Woodchuck and do not know what a really accurate rifle acts and shoots like. I've had a few of tem so I know. A friend who is a fairly big Cooper dealer told me he had been told the same as I have experienced with the VarTarg, that they are sensitive to humidity, if you will. In the Dry Dog Fields, things may be different.

To date, I am un-fascinated with tiny bullets, regardless of how well they are publicized.

So it seems, load development is what you're issue is. As an FYI another round noted for humidity issues.....6 PPC.
Talk to Todd Kindler, get his books on sub caliber loads and how the 20's perform when properly loaded. Then go visit saubier.com for everything sub caliber.

Fact #1-For accuracy, the largest variable, the largest balance variable, the thing that makes or breaks a bullet, is the jacket.
Fact #2- For accuracy, the larger a bullet is, the less effect the jacket has, the better chance it has of CG equaling CF.

But I may well be barking up the wrong tree...... may not even be in the right forest ;) because the little bullets WILL hit something as large as a predatory carnivore at 300-400yds.

al-chewingbark-inwa

I have tried just about every .224 and 6MM on coyotes. All have worked very well but pelt damage was never a consideration for me. Most of my shooting was out west in Colorado and Arizona. Now that I'm in Kansas the spaces are not quite so wide open so I find myself going after yotes with my Cooper .17 mach4. This thing so far has put them down like they were struck by lightning! I am using the 25 grain Kindler golds. Shot three so far this fall and cannot even hardly find a bullet hole. Absolutely no pelt damage. I do have to say that when you go to pick the coyote up in sounds like you are lifting a big bowl of jello. Obviously the internal damage is massive! I think this round would be ideal on fox.

So it seems, load development is what you're issue is. As an FYI another round noted for humidity issues.....6 PPC.
Talk to Todd Kindler, get his books on sub caliber loads and how the 20's perform when properly loaded. Then go visit saubier.com for everything sub caliber.

I don't think so. I don't want to be fooling with a rifle that has to have a different load for every day's weather. I could live with going from the .1's to the .2's but not from the .1's to the point 4's and 5's. Not my cup of tea at all.

I wish I would have realized that saving fur was way down on the priority list. I just didn't read that into the first post.

I don't think so. I don't want to be fooling with a rifle that has to have a different load for every day's weather. I could live with going from the .1's to the .2's but not from the .1's to the point 4's and 5's. Not my cup of tea at all.

Pick the proper powder and it isn't an issue. The issue may very well be that somehow you seem to think a Cooper capable of .1's on any regular basis. Not possible with factory guns.

I've had several Coopers and while they are fine rifles, they aren't .1 rifles. .4s & .5s are the norm. If you are getting that on a regular basis, you've got what is to be expected. Coopers are good, but they aren't benchrest rifles. And there isn't a thing wrong with a 20 VT.

Rick

22br

A 22BR with a 40gr Nosler Ballistic tip. I have shot woodchucks to 'yotes with this from 20 yards to 300 yards and the bullet NEVER exits the animal. Just my humble opinion.

Back