Flash hole

Tod Soeby

Just prepping some brass for my 6.5 WSSM project. I baught 4 bags (50 ct each) of Win brass from Cabellas. While truing up the primer pockets I noticed that about half of the brass in one of the bags that had "buggered up" flash holes. If you look through the neck and out the flash hole, the flash hole looks round. But when you look at the primer end, the hole is not round.. It looks like when they punched out the flash hole, on the out stroke the brass was tipping over. It looks like they drug the punch out at an angle. I checked the other 3 bags of brass and they looked better. But, compared to my Norma brass, the flash holes on the Win brass looked like ASS. I haven't gotten around to deburing the flash holes yet to see if the inside is screwed up also.

Do I just chuck the brass that are obviously bad, and just live with the rest, or just not worry about it? I am sure Cabellas will replace them. I tried to take pictures, but my camera died. I have the feeling that when I retrieve my pictures, I won't have a clue how to post them here, anyway!!:eek: If anyone wants to see them, providing they show the problem, I can email them. That I have figured out how to do.;)

What say you?

Thanks,
Tod

i doubt cabelas will replace...standard looking production brass......its what you paid for....run of the mill us production brass, not match brass.
if i want to shoot winchester 223, i buy 500 and sort out 300 good ones, use the rest for plinking....

pays your money and you take your chances....

mike in co

Just prepping some brass for my 6.5 WSSM project. I baught 4 bags (50 ct each) of Win brass from Cabellas. While truing up the primer pockets I noticed that about half of the brass in one of the bags that had "buggered up" flash holes. If you look through the neck and out the flash hole, the flash hole looks round. But when you look at the primer end, the hole is not round.. It looks like when they punched out the flash hole, on the out stroke the brass was tipping over. It looks like they drug the punch out at an angle. I checked the other 3 bags of brass and they looked better. But, compared to my Norma brass, the flash holes on the Win brass looked like ASS. I haven't gotten around to deburing the flash holes yet to see if the inside is screwed up also.

Do I just chuck the brass that are obviously bad, and just live with the rest, or just not worry about it? I am sure Cabellas will replace them. I tried to take pictures, but my camera died. I have the feeling that when I retrieve my pictures, I won't have a clue how to post them here, anyway!!:eek: If anyone wants to see them, providing they show the problem, I can email them. That I have figured out how to do.;)

What say you?

Thanks,
Tod

Tod, I agree with Mike in part, you will have to be picky and choose your brass, get about double of what you have and you will be just fine. Remember its just production brass, not built to what we come to expect. I have spent more time sorting and picking brass for this case than any other that I shoot. Ron Tilley

Stir the pot

Just trying to stir the pot a bit. ----- Something to think about.

Do you really believe the primer "fire" cares if the hole is round or oval?

I think we do many many many things that do not make difference.

If brass is so important, then why is it that every ackly types I've shot the fire forming groups are so good, many times better than shooting fire formed brass.

More -- why do most think that tight chamber and tight necks are needed??

Have ya-all tried looser chambers and a lot of neck clearance? (I have) the results are ==== large neck clearance === who cares about round out.....
I know I wrong right, cause you have not tried it.

Got some more pot stir items, will save for later.

Jerry

jerry,
i'd take a guess... you aint shooting benchrest....

on ocassion an ackly shows up in results.....but more wildcats and such in 600/1000yd...

yes it is the little things that add up to better shooting results.....

uniform parts make for uniform results.....

mike in co

If brass is so important, then why is it that every ackly types I've shot the fire forming groups are so good, many times better than shooting fire formed brass.

Have ya-all tried looser chambers and a lot of neck clearance? (I have) the results are ==== large neck clearance === who cares about round out.....

Jerry

Jerry, I hardly think that uniformity does not help in the end. Some round some oval flash holes,how can it not affect ignition? brass life is important don't you think? chambers and dies matched to save stretch and resizing kept to a minimum, I think for me, it eliminates some of the question of performance due to my loading. JMHO. Ron Tilley

somehow, i'm betting he was not shooting unsorted winchester brass in that rifle.......
the statements just do not follow from a br shooter.

good shooting

mike in co

Guys

Jerry the pot stirrer has won both the 600 and 1,000 Yard NBRSA Nationals atleast once if not more.He also reset 19 National Hi-Power Records last year and is an engineer to boot.He knows how to shoot and he shoots alot.

He is extremely consistant day in and day out and that is what wins matches.

If you get the chance try this experiment--Roll some Remington brass across a flat surface while watching the flashhole at the same time.

All that being said I still do all of the tricks myself because I'm not Jerry and can't read the wind.
Lynn

After going through a lot of case prep work for various rifles & cartridges for across the course HP, LR HP, point-blank BR, & LR BR, I gotta put my money on the point that Jerry was trying to make. I've shot fully-prepped stuff vs. out-of-the-box brass (though in most cases what I started out with was Lapua or Norma, which is pretty good to begin with in most cases), and more times than not, the stuff I'm fireforming shoots at least as good as the finished cases.

IOW, I think that some of the stuff we do to prep our cases for match work does more to remove doubt than it does to actually help the accuracy potential of the loaded ammo. Conventional wisdom is that, if you think what you're doing helps, then it probably will. But how much is that is phsycological, and how much is mechanical?

After going through a lot of case prep work for various rifles & cartridges for across the course HP, LR HP, point-blank BR, & LR BR, I gotta put my money on the point that Jerry was trying to make. I've shot fully-prepped stuff vs. out-of-the-box brass (though in most cases what I started out with was Lapua or Norma, which is pretty good to begin with in most cases), and more times than not, the stuff I'm fireforming shoots at least as good as the finished cases.

IOW, I think that some of the stuff we do to prep our cases for match work does more to remove doubt than it does to actually help the accuracy potential of the loaded ammo. Conventional wisdom is that, if you think what you're doing helps, then it probably will. But how much is that is phsycological, and how much is mechanical?

yes , but comapring rp , winchester to norma or lapua....aint even close...

mike in co

yes , but comapring rp , winchester to norma or lapua....aint even close...

mike in co

That's exactly how I feel. If I shot the WW out of the bag, I can promise that I would have had case failures by now. lots of them split,wrinkled,and cracked. Before even looking at the primer pockets. I sorted and sent a bag back to WW a few years ago that were split,cracked and so on, they sent me back a 25.00 gift cert for any WW product, never used it but they sent it to me.

Bench Rest -- non sorted Win brass

wrong subject

Last edited by a moderator:
how do you explain the inconsistant results of 47.4 ??? .19 vs .45 ???
how many times have you fired the win brass ?
shots per load ??
what happens to the lapua brass with a cci br primer ?
( while most of my rifles have shot consistant with fed primers, i do have one that likes cci's)

i think i would have to see more consistancy before i would think about changing.

were any of your 600/1000 yd br wins done with un prepped winchester brass ??

for the record my 308 is sub 2's with a .116 small group. yep fully prepped lapua, but not in a palma gun...just an ar-10 built for br.
yes it is a 308 win BR( as in neck turned).

now for the record , i'm always willing to learn......but you gotta back it up with consistant results.

this is not the palma forum, its the br forum......and as i have been shown, you do well when you shoot, but i'm gonna say do it with a 600 or 1000 yd rifle and i'll think about changing the spec on my reamer at ptg.

respectfully
mike in co

In my 1000 yard BR win I may have use Win brass in the Light gun.
I do test hundreds of rounds per year and with the RIGHT chamber the brass becomes the least important part of the load

Jerry could you go further with the RIGHT chamber? do you mean while boring the barrel or do you mean dimension of the reamer?

Hi Ron,
Reamer dimensions.

Sorry that I changed the topic of this thread.
Will delete some of my posts and be gone.

Jerry Tierney

Jerry

Jerry, you deleted all your posts but this, I do not get it? I just asked you a question, I did not want you to withdraw.

Back