Fixed Rest vs Bipod Accuracy

Phil
I will be at the range sunday and if you can make it we can see if that thing will shoot on a front and rear rest.
For ammunition try ammoman or even Midwayusa and you don't need 69 grain bullets as anything over 52 grains will work.
The club matches are NBRSA matches and you are welcome tpo shoot them with any gun as long as you single feed it.I even have a flag for your action so we know it is safe.
Lynn

Phil
I will be at the range sunday and if you can make it we can see if that thing will shoot on a front and rear rest.
For ammunition try ammoman or even Midwayusa and you don't need 69 grain bullets as anything over 52 grains will work.
The club matches are NBRSA matches and you are welcome tpo shoot them with any gun as long as you single feed it.I even have a flag for your action so we know it is safe.
Lynn

Lynn,

I will be there. What time are you there and for how long?

I have about 150 rounds of BlackHills remanufactured FMJ 55 grain ammo, supposedly good for 3200 fps. I have 5 or 10 rounds left of the 69 grain. If shooting at 100 yards, the 55 grain will be fine. What distance would we be shooting?

Single feeding an AR? How is this supposed to work? I can't see how to hold the bullet and get it through the small eject port, and not let it fall out the bottom of the magazine well (if open w/no mag). Having an empty mag in will help, but not sure if that is legal in NBRSA. I may need this thing.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/product/5693/AR-15-Magazines-Followers

Still not quite sure how this will actually work. Will be nice when I have a bolt action rifle. An AR at 600 yards is an uphill battle against NBRSA stuff, and while I know need to check my ego at the door, I don't want to look like an idiot either. Heck, my scope is good only to 24X and from 20X up, it begins to lose clarity. 20X at 600 seems pretty weak.

- Phil

Not being all that familiar with NBRSA rules, I can't envision why you couldn't have a (empty) magazine inserted in the well during a string of fire. The SLEDs (single-load enabling device) do make life a whole lot easier for slow-fire/single load stages with an AR. Either the aluminum ones that fit on top of a standard magazine follower (disassemble one magazine, stick it in there, reassemble) or one of the purpose-built 'Bob' SLEDs. Drop the round in the port, chase it forward with your finger tip or a pen, then drop the bolt catch. Works pretty slick in NRA HP matches every weekend around the country.

One thing to be cautious of... and it does sound like something that should be completely obvious, but I've seen it happen about 6 feet away from me :rolleyes: make *sure* all appendages (specifically pinky fingers) are clear of the ejection port before you hit the bolt release. Blood doesn't make all that great of a lubricant for the bolt carrier, and you *do not* want these things to develop a taste for it :D

Thanks. I definitely like the Bob Sled better, after looking it up. Much more expensive at about $43, but is exactly what is needed. Somewhat hesitant on this since I really do not intend on competing much with an AR anyway, but it is clearly makes things much easier.

The bolt slams forward with considerable force, and there are sharpish edges around that area, so your caution is duly noted. I would much rather keep my fingers out of there as much as possible, given they are sitting in front of something just itching to shoot forward and "load" my finger!

- Phil

The Bob SLED has a deeper 'belly' to the cartridge tray area than the aluminum follower; IIRC it was intended to just drop the round into the follower and let the bolt feed the cartridge forward (per the normal function of the gun). Some people don't like that, as the case can get abused a little on the journey, so they push the case into the chamber like I mentioned with a finger or a pen tip. The problem there is that absolutely nothing slows down the bolt carrier assembly before it gets all the way home, and the bolt slams closed with enough force to re-headspace your brass if it's too long, jam bullets back into the case if they are seated out, that sort of thing. Some folks try riding the bolt forward using the charging handle; that seems like an awful lot of hassle for very little reward (in my experience). The guns shoot about as well as they are going to just operating normally - and there's a reason most gas-gunners set the shoulder back a couple thou more than you might for a bolt gun, nor do they sweat whether the bullet is into the lands or not... seat to mag length if you have to, or 20-30 thou off the lands otherwise and you'll be well on your way.

YMMV,

Monte

Last edited:
I understand your points. I can also see the reason to use a side charging handle on the bolt...easier to more gently let the bolt go forward.

I am also learning how the AR15, or semi-autos, give up some things to bolt guns.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.

- Phil

Phil
We will be there all day but early on I will be working on a Varget load for the Dashers to replace my RE15 load I use now.
On the rear I think we are all set but on the front we will have a little more slop than I like so I'm putting on my thinking cap.
Waterboy

I need to put something on the front so the tube slides easier. Smooth tape, or something. Attached are some pics of the rifle so you can see what we are working with.

- Phil

Attachments

• DSC_0008A.jpg
    DSC_0008A.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 329
  • DSC_0018A.jpg
    DSC_0018A.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 340
Last edited by a moderator:
Phil
I think I have some stock tape laying around here collecting dust so that won't be an issue.I have a very smooth round leather bag but it is a little bigger than 2 inches.I will fabricate a sleeve to fit the bag and the rifle.
Waterboy

Lynn, a sleeve of some kind may work. I am very particular on keeping guns pristine, so need to be sure whatever we do, it doesn't mark up the handguard or anything else through attachment or use. I am confident any of your ideas will achieve that.

The other thing is that the clearance between the scope bell and the handguard is quite tight. I did this as I wanted the scope as low as possible. Word is these rifles shoot best with the front bag near the receiver, which is where the scope bell hangs over.

I am trying to think of some way to make the gun fit a larger bag as well. Let me know what you come up with.

- Phil

Last edited by a moderator:
Phil
I think I have a bag that will work with the handguard as is.I will bring the stock tape as well.
Waterboy

Back