First time neck turning.....please check if I did right......

herbeapuce

Hi.

OK so tonight I neck turned my first 2 brass ever.....

using the PMA expander and PMA model B 30 degres for my 6mm PPC

Before I do them all, Please can you comment my work ?

first, did I go far enough into the shoulder ? or too much maybe ?

Also right now where is a burr I can feel where the turner stopped on the shoulder.... What to do for this? Should I spin the shoulder on a fine steel wool or a green Scotch-Brite pad? Or I went too deep into the shoulder ?

What else should I do , or know....
Please you are all very welcome to comment...

thank you
stef

Cutter

I would back the cutter out until the ridge is no longer felt.
You can remove the ridge with 600 metal sand paper.
Otherwise looks good to me.
I'm not sure about the neck thickness--is that correct to your desires??
CLP

Last edited:
I'm not sure about the neck thickness--is that correct to your desires??
CLP

I think it's good.

my chamber is marked .262,

a loaded round with the neck turned is now .2604 . .so I believe I'm good to go. 0.0016" spacing....

Wall thickness :
the Berger is .2435''
0.2604 minus 0.2435 equals 0.0169 ; divided by 2 equals 0.00845 " wall thickness (did I got it right?)

thanks for your help; I will back the cutter as you said

Stef

I think it's good.

my chamber is marked .262,

a loaded round with the neck turned is now .2604 . .so I believe I'm good to go. 0.0016" spacing....

Wall thickness :
the Berger is .2435''
0.2604 minus 0.2435 equals 0.0169 ; divided by 2 equals 0.00845 " wall thickness (did I got it right?)

thanks for your help; I will back the cutter as you said

Stef[/QUOTEI

Info from the Bible--Tony Boyers Rifle Accuracy Book
---Measure with quality micrometers both inside ball for neck thickness and flat for overall loaded thickness dimensions

Attachments

• C12A267D-7343-4190-8068-5D223326C19B.jpeg
    C12A267D-7343-4190-8068-5D223326C19B.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 382
Last edited:
I would back the cutter out until the ridge is no longer felt.
Otherwise looks good to me.

Doc, I'm no expert here, but I've got two questions:

1. It looks to me like the cut is too far down the shoulder -- is that typical for what you see?
2. How would he get the desired neck thickness by backing out the cutter?

Hi Hunter.

this is the tool I'm using. this video explains how to use it. he does go in the shoulder a bit...

I now know I went too far.....

I broke the link in case it's not permitted.

Regards

h ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEjUuEcXH0Q

Doc, I'm no expert here, but I've got two questions:

1. It looks to me like the cut is too far down the shoulder -- is that typical for what you see?
2. How would he get the desired neck thickness by backing out the cutter?

He cut to far INTO the shoulder-- down is the wrong descriptive word here.
The neck thickness will be the same regardless of how far in or out the cutter is in relationship to the shoulder.
He wants to just "Kiss the Shoulder" not really cut into shoulder.
Realize turning neck dimensions varies from shooter to shooter as to what's "Right".
When one is starting out however one should follow the accepted standards from the experts.
You will not go wrong starting with Tony Boyers advice!!!!!!
My 2 cents
CLP

Agree that he's way too far into the shoulder. I did that some years ago and had some necks stay in the chamber upon case extraction.

More like it now.......

Thanks everyone for your help.

Happy shooting
stef

[/QUOTE

Looks like you have it mastered.

Once you have it set up like you want, you may want to do 1-2 boxes at a time.
Remember its easy taking metal off, hard to put it back on.
Remember not to let the mandrel get hot or your neck thickness can change.
I measure after every 5-10 to make sure nothing is changing.
Stated earlier use good measuring instruments--your not cutting inches but thousandths.
Don't skimp on lubricants.
Allow yourself enough time for the project--don't try to hurry this.
Turn on your favorite music/talk show and have at it.
CLP

Still to much! You want to stop short of the shoulder by a few thou with a rounded cutter as the hard edge is going to lead to case separation issues. I cannot work out how your cutter is not compromising the shoulder thickness of the brass!

* Doggie *

Still to much! You want to stop short of the shoulder by a few thou with a rounded cutter as the hard edge is going to lead to case separation issues. I cannot work out how your cutter is not compromising the shoulder thickness of the brass!

* Doggie *

I agree that it has to lessen the thickness of the shoulder by a bit. I'm new to neck turning so I don't know if it will have an effect or not on the longevity or even accuracy of the rounds....

Still I decided to go with with the instructions given by my turning tool manufacturer, PMA,
if you click at the (broken) youtube link I posted above, at minute 2.00 he talks about that.....
according to him it has to do with preventing the infamous dreaded donut

time will tell....

I appreciate your comment.

Happy shooting.

Last edited:
The donut

With the PPC you really never get the base of the bullet deep enough into the case, especially if yout using BT’s, to have the donut come into play. Well that was what was explained to me by an experienced shooter when I mentioned it when I started turning my own necks!

You can't go wrong by just turning to the bottom of the neck. Folks turn into the shoulder believing that a donut affects accuracy...and I'm certain that it doesn't. As long as your bullet doesn't contact the donut you're good to go.

Ol' Beggs again.

You can't go wrong by just turning to the bottom of the neck. Folks turn into the shoulder believing that a donut affects accuracy...and I'm certain that it doesn't. As long as your bullet doesn't contact the donut you're good to go.

Plus 1 on that!:)

just remember what works for 6ppc/30br for 100/200/300, is not necessarily true
in all shooting games. that shoulder turning stuff applies when the bullet pressure ring
is at or below the neck/shoulder junction.

Back