first match ever

dragman

I am very new to the shooting world I have only started shooting rifles this year. I have a lot of years in shooting bows and pistols, but nothing in the rifle world til this year. I am going with my gun smith to a match this sunday june 5th. And to keep within my normal form of making nothing easy my gun still isn't together yet!!! Any suggetions or tips?? this is a varmint match 850-1000 yards Crows, Groundhogs, Bobcats, and Yotes

Get with your friend or the club and figure your rifles trajectory before you shoot at those long ranges. If you don't know where your bullets are going and you shoot high and you may hit something miles away you don't intend. Then there is the problem of shooting and not hitting the "paper". You won't know which way to adjust to get on the target.

Try and get help using this program: http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.1.cgi

gt40

PS: Maybe if you give the info for what you are shooting and where maybe some one on here could get you on the paper on your first shot???

Last edited by a moderator:
I am shooting a 6.5X284 F class. I have put the load through the chrono and I am shooting 140 grain Berger VLD's with a b.c. of .612 I have a good idea of what adjustment I am supposed to have to make, but that doesn't mean that it's gonna do what it is supposed to. Thanks for the info I hope it doesn't take to many shots to get it zero'd

Match went really well I think for my first ever. I ended up with a 9 out of a total 40. I started off really good but as the wind picked up later in the day it really showed the rookie that I am. I was 7 out of the first 20 which I was thrilled with but a 2 in the last 20 really humbled me. I really enjoyed it and see that I am gonna need to spend a LOT of time trying to learn the wind.

Match went really well I think for my first ever. I ended up with a 9 out of a total 40. I started off really good but as the wind picked up later in the day it really showed the rookie that I am. I was 7 out of the first 20 which I was thrilled with but a 2 in the last 20 really humbled me. I really enjoyed it and see that I am gonna need to spend a LOT of time trying to learn the wind.

I have only shot two 1,000 yd. competitions. Excuse me, but I do not understand how you shot on your target.

This was what I did at my second match:

examples: My first 5 shot group scored 46+0x (out a possible 50) + 11+1/4" group.
second 5 shot group scored 42-0x + 8+1/8" group.
third 5 shot group scored 44-0x +10+3/16" group.

gt40

PS: I guess you mean that you came in #9 out of a total of 40 shooters. DUH I should have understood this the first time I read it. You did very well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have only shot two 1,000 yd. competitions. Excuse me, but I do not understand how you shot on your target.

This was what I did at my second match:

examples: My first 5 shot group scored 46+0x (out a possible 50) + 11+1/4" group.
second 5 shot group scored 42-0x + 8+1/8" group.
third 5 shot group scored 44-0x +10+3/16" group.

gt40

PS: I guess you mean that you came in #9 out of a total of 40 shooters. DUH I should have understood this the first time I read it. You did very well.

this is a long range varmint shoot. it isn't by group or paper you have steel shiluettes (however you spell that) and you only get points if you knock them down. 10 crows 10 GH's 10 Bobcats and 10 Yotes. I only got 9

Back