first 1000 yd match

M

mike in co

ok the simple part...light gun three targets
1) dq...3 off.....4 of 8 shooters dq'd
2) dq...2 off.....i think 3 of 8 this time
3) 8.167/34.....not sure how many dq'd.
i was in the 10ring for my last two sighters...thought i was good to go...wind slowed down shots went left....

on the first two targets...the wind had dropped speed from my sighters that i did not catch...and i was then on the left edge or off the target. you would think that at 62 i would be calm at the bench...lol....not!

ok shot 2nd relay, so close to noon and winds were about twice what the relay one guys had. the real problem was missing a change. the change in most cases was just a decrease in wind speed. wind was left to right(w-e) with a slight n component.
when it would drop the bullets were pointed in the wrong direction.

bulz.eye.pro send me a 3x optical multiplyer. i talked to them on wed eve and it got here sat afternoon. so i was able to shoot the match with a bit better than the 25x luepold i had planned on. not really sure the the effective power is when you put a 3x on a 25x,,,it is not 75x, but it did work.
did i have fun...yes!
will i go back...yes...when my work does not get in the way.
next month is the 2 day state championships..but think i will be out of town.

remember this was with a rifle i built..with help from guys here and on the gunsmith forum. i need to get something to stablize the rear bag.....

so thanks

mike in co

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike wait till your in a big match and know your in the running, the the adrenaline rush will be unreal. Glad you got a taste of the let ups in the wind, welcome to shooting.

Joe Salt

5 SHOTS...light gun....i had it around 6 and got blown out to 8 on the last shot.
the guy shooting next to me was shooting a dasher and took score....he shot slow and watched the flags...he and i could watch 5 flags in our scopes from 300 to 900.
thanks for the bib's( i shoot his 135's in my 308)
mike in co

First post, picked a good night seems like the whole country is dodging storms and I mean really bad storms tonight, we had a run with them three weeks ago here in Alabama. Hope you folks in MO, Texas and OK are fairing well. Sorry about the off topic post but after watching what is going on with the weather tonight I just felt the need.

Don't know what you mean by "stablize the rear bag....." But if you mean that it is moving and maybe sliding on you. There is a product used in wood working that works real well. It is a flexable cloth made for holding a work piece ( wood as an example) when you are using a "Router" real easy to come by Loues and Home Depot for sure have it and probably your local Hardware store as well. Great solution for under your rear bag.

Roland

the effect of a gene davis optical booster (3X) on a 25X scope would make it effectively a 32 power give or take a bit.
congrats on getting that new gun out. I will hopefully have my new gun out for the next shoot. Good Luck!

Congratulations on your first 1,000 yd. match Mike.

This was what I did on my first one last month:

http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?74555-Results-of-my-first-1-000-yd.-Benchrest-club-competition.

Tomorrow I will shoot my 2 nd. match at our other 1,000 yd. range which is about 30 miles away from the other one. I have no idea what direction the wind will be coming from. This time if the wind seems to be consistent I will shoot my 10 shot strings as fast as I can.

gt40

PS: Don't let what other ones posts get to you here. I am on many other Forums and some of the guys here have brought the quality of this one down compared to all the other Forums I visit. Just my .02.

for once i will actually thank the moderator that removed the offending posts and my replies.

mike in co

Kay, 10 plus years ago, Do you even know the competition that is out there right now! I would love to be shooting against the guys and equipment from ten years ago. Right now if your not shooting at least 5'' or under with 10 shots your just there to have fun. I've seen guys and women shoot 99 scores and get beat, pal let me tell you something at any given match anyone can win. That's what I like so much about this kind of shooting. Even I have my days. Try and pick the next winner at or club bet your wrong.

Joe Salt

Kay got ya, But I'm one of the old guys that's still shooting 1000 yard. They're going to have to drag me away kicking and screaming, or on a slab. Just like I told my two boys when they asked how long I was going to keep doing this, it's 3 1/2 hours one way for me every other weekend. Missed a few weddings and parties, but they all know how to find the dates when I'm gone.So when I can't lift my 85 pound Heavy gun, it time to think about it. No monday quarter back stuff, you'll hear from me about what really works or not, at least from my point. But we sure are getting a lot of good shooters, or is it good barrels and bullets. The ones that got tossed should just shoot and keep from putting their two cents in at the club. I'm out of the swamp now and I'm loving it.

Joe Salt

Back