Firing pin spring

WallyDog

I need a new spring ( I think) but I am unsure how to measure the tension correctly. This is a Hall action. I took a empty 308 case and put the firing pin end inside. Pressing on the shroud it takes 17 lbs and the cocking piece starts to lift. At full cocking position its around 19 lbs maybe 20 at most. The spring is 15 yrs old. That being said its adjustable with a threaded trunnion and I can get it to 24lbs if I reduce its un cocked length by about 1/2 in. It looks to be a Remington spring. Same outside diameter and .050 wire diameter. Should I buy a 24 or 28 lb spring or just shorten the adjustment to give more tension? Im thinkin a 28.

Wallydog

Time for a new Spring!

I need a new spring ( I think) but I am unsure how to measure the tension correctly. This is a Hall action. I took a empty 308 case and put the firing pin end inside. Pressing on the shroud it takes 17 lbs and the cocking piece starts to lift. At full cocking position its around 19 lbs maybe 20 at most. The spring is 15 yrs old. That being said its adjustable with a threaded trunnion and I can get it to 24lbs if I reduce its un cocked length by about 1/2 in. It looks to be a Remington spring. Same outside diameter and .050 wire diameter. Should I buy a 24 or 28 lb spring or just shorten the adjustment to give more tension? Im thinkin a 28.

Wallydog

Time to put a new spring in at 15yrs old. Aim for 22-24lb in cocked position, assuming pin fall is around .240
I would contact Allan Hall at http://www.hallmfg.com/hall-actions/centerfire-actions.html and ask him about a new spring and what it should be.
One thing I do know is you won’t get 24lb from a 0.050 wire spring, but your 19-20lbs is what I would expect.

Michael

Time to put a new spring in at 15yrs old. Aim for 22-24lb in cocked position, assuming pin fall is around .240
I would contact Allan Hall at http://www.hallmfg.com/hall-actions/centerfire-actions.html and ask him about a new spring and what it should be.
One thing I do know is you won’t get 24lb from a 0.050 wire spring, but your 19-20lbs is what I would expect.

Michael
I checked a short action BDL spring and it was 22 lbs or therebouts. I ordered the 24 from Wolff and will shorten it as needed to get 24-27 lbs. Im using a highly accurate scale I got at a garage sale for 3 bucks. lol

be aware

I checked a short action BDL spring and it was 22 lbs or therebouts. I ordered the 24 from Wolff and will shorten it as needed to get 24-27 lbs. Im using a highly accurate scale I got at a garage sale for 3 bucks. lol

that depending on the age of your Hall, you may have to drill out a blind roll pin to get the cocking piece loose. I have rebuilt 4 Halls, from srl. #79 to srl. # 877. All of them had the blind pin and were a ROYAL PIA to get disassembled. Alan was not one to use doubled setscrews
David

that depending on the age of your Hall, you may have to drill out a blind roll pin to get the cocking piece loose. I have rebuilt 4 Halls, from srl. #79 to srl. # 877. All of them had the blind pin and were a ROYAL PIA to get disassembled. Alan was not one to use doubled setscrews
David

I said it was a Hall action David but in fact I loosely copied a Hall and made it myself. I used double set screws instead. Its made from 17-4 PH stainless but the cocking piece is 4150 at around 45 RC. It shot great when I first built it but unexplained flyers started to make me think it needs a new spring. Sounds anemic when dry firing if that makes any sense. I think its weak and may account for the surprise flyers. Couldn't be me.lol
Wallydog

Big Difference

I ended up buying a 24 lb Wolff and installed it after cutting off an inch to fit the Hall. The full spring gave 32 lbs or there bouts. I ended up with 28lbs in the cocked position after trimming it up. Sure made a big difference in the bolt handle stiffness. It gives a very solid click when dry firing now. Im thinking that surely knocked .050 off my 100 yd groups size.:eek:. I must say it ought to help ignition.

David

Thank you David!
My Hall is S/N 92, I'd read somewhere about double set screws in the cocking piece, but under magnification, it sure looks like a roll pin.
I might be able to diss assemble it now.

Back