firing pin spring for Rem 700

M

marion packett

My gunsmith recently installed a Wolfe spring which has 28 ft # of tension. When cocking I have too hold rifle with opposite hand to effect bolt lift. What spring do you recommend? thanks,marion

My gunsmith recently installed a Wolfe spring which has 28 ft # of tension. When cocking I have too hold rifle with opposite hand to effect bolt lift. What spring do you recommend? thanks,marion
He may have screwed something else up. Going to a 28# spring won't cause that much problem. Check the bolt lugs. Sounds like they might be galled.

What Firing Pin Spring to Use?

Do you have plenty of grease on the cocking surface"? That is the angled cutoutout at the rear of the bolt that the cocking piece cams on. I once put one together dry and nearly pulled the bolt handle off getting the bolt open. After I greased it, it cocked with normal effort.

Scott Roeder

They were galled before I sent to the gunsmith, but he corrected. This gunsmith headspaces from.000 - .001.but the hard bolt lift occurs when gun is empty. The bolt lift once it is cocked is easier of course,but when cocking it will lift this 16# rifle out of the bag unless I hold with other hand. I was thinking a lighter spring would be the answer.

lube

Lube the camming surface of the cocking piece.It draws the firing pin back when you lift the bolt handle.
Chris

Install the original Remington firing pin assembly, with the original factory non-fluted Remington pin and spring, unless it is the "J-Lock" style. If this is the case, obtain an original style assembly. They can be obtained from Brownell's.

The Remington action was designed for this particular setup, and nothing else. There is no reason to deviate from this configuration.

Your rifle will have optimum ignition characteristics and operate easier with a spring tension between 22 and 24 pounds, and .260 to .280" of firing pin fall.

Greg Walley
Kelbly's Inc.

My recommendation is to listen to Greg Walley and follow his instructions to the letter, THEN check for hard bolt lift. Make sure the ramp is lubricated. If it's still hard to cock, STOP!! because the gunsmith didn't fix it he just cut through the surface hardening and made it more prone to gall again. Hopefully this is not the case and the proper spring will fix it.

Also note that your answer came from one of the few people on Gods Earth who actually KNOWS whence he speaks in this area. Mr Walley has built the test equipment to measure this stuff. He MEASURES lock time and firing pin impulse. If Greg says stick with the factory stuff it really means something.

al

Back