Fireforming 220 russian to 6ppc!

I didnt know you could get fireformed brass from ron. I get mine weight sorted and have seen em turned but never formed.

Forming 220 russian case to 6ppc

a lot of people have different way some think it's un necessary to form then turn.
I use and old barrel in 6ppc with the same neck diameter I load anew case with a 22 G I bullet and fire form. then turn and shoot as a 6ppc
works pretty well seeing you have to fire the cases at least 2 time,s or more for best accuracy.

a lot of people have different way some think it's un necessary to form then turn.
I use and old barrel in 6ppc with the same neck diameter I load anew case with a 22 G I bullet and fire form. then turn and shoot as a 6ppc
works pretty well seeing you have to fire the cases at least 2 time,s or more for best accuracy.

I use an old barrel too. Same chamber reamer and same headspace. I've been loading 220 Russian cases with Hogdon Clays halfway up the neck and cap with modeling clay. It makes pretty darn nice cases! Cases have been expanded and neck turned prior...

I think Ron's 6PPC brass is fireformed and neck turned to your specs. He does not uniform the primer pockets or deburr the flash holes. People who have used his prepped brass tell me they are excellent. Give him a call if you need any additional info. Tim

I just received brass from Ron. A fully prepped PPC case is as follows:

Necks expaned to 6MM from 220 Russian.
Necks turned to 0.0086"
Trimmed to 1.510" OAL
Primer pockets uniformed
Flash hole uniformed and deburred? (Not sure, I looked at three cases with a bore scope and none exhibited any burrs on the flash hole)

He may chamfer the case mouth not sure. He will also weight sort them if you ask. I believe at an extra charge.

The only step needed is to wash the cutting oil from the cases before you fill the case with VV133 (that is what I used) and seat a bullet long to keep the case head against the bolt face.

I fireformed 3 cases, hit hard 3x with a nearly full case of VV133 (loaded to the shoulder-neck junction), so I can send them back to Ron to make a FL die.

I will be purchasing more 6PPC cases and 6BR cases prepped by Ron.

You can also buy them fully prepped and hydro formed already. Being new to the 6PPC I have done this both ways. One of these days Harley Baker and I are going to meet up in Jersey and do some from scratch.

Bob

Back