Fire forming brass

feffer

In the past, I've used the "no-bullet" approach: form the case & neck to fit the chamber, fill it with Unique, plug with wax or a tissue wad and fire. The case fills out and I proceed to neck turning etc. Lately, I've been struggling with a shortened .308 (going to 30x44). The case fills out "pretty well" but is not fully sharp, and there is considerable run-out on the necks...in the order of .006-.008" After neck turning and a subsequent firing with a bullet, the run-out is less, but not yet in the .001" or less area. After the 3rd firing, it seem to get there. I'm thinking my initial "no-bullet" approach is false economy. What's the best way to fire-form?

I have shot a 30x44

In the past, I've used the "no-bullet" approach: form the case & neck to fit the chamber, fill it with Unique, plug with wax or a tissue wad and fire. The case fills out and I proceed to neck turning etc. Lately, I've been struggling with a shortened .308 (going to 30x44). The case fills out "pretty well" but is not fully sharp, and there is considerable run-out on the necks...in the order of .006-.008" After neck turning and a subsequent firing with a bullet, the run-out is less, but not yet in the .001" or less area. After the 3rd firing, it seem to get there. I'm thinking my initial "no-bullet" approach is false economy. What's the best way to fire-form?

for about 17 years now. My method, not perfection but mine, is to push back from 308 Lapua, trim to .035-.050 long, expand, turn in 2 passes, trim to max length of chamber, expand to .338 and then push a false shoulder at .005 long. Fill it up, put a cheap 308 bullet on top and fireform. The reason for the false shoulder is to get a crush fit when you initially fire. Have not had separation 1 since doing this and brass does not shorten as much on initial firing. Case will be 99.9% formed on the second firing and ready to trim and go compete.

David, thx for the detailed info especially since you are forming 30 x 44 and have long experience with it. Just so I'm clear, you form the case first from the .308 Lapua brass, and THEN trim it to .035-.050 long? I have been doing those steps the other way around (but think that may be causing me a problem).

In any case, after these steps, we have an initially formed case with a new neck partially formed from the old .308 shoulder. So most of the neck is thick (about .017" or so) and the last 1/8th" or so is left over from the old .308 neck and is thinner. And between them is a line that WAS the old .308 shoulder-neck junction. I have had a terrible time getting the final turned necks uniformly thick. If I'm shooting for a .0108" neck, the back of the neck will be that way, but the very front (near the mouth) will be a bit less...maybe .0105" and right around the junction line it might be .0100 or even a little less...measuring carefully with a ball mic. The bottom line is that these variations almost surely are enough to affect neck tension on the bullet. And I can sometimes feel noticeable differences when seating bullets. I posted earlier asking about neck turning issues, but did not put these details in.

So David, if you see where I might be going wrong, I would really appreciate the help. Also, I'm curious about what sort of chamber neck and case neck dimensions you find work best with the 30 x 44. Thanks!

Last edited:
Feffer

David, thx for the detailed info especially since you are forming 30 x 44 and have long experience with it. Just so I'm clear, you form the case first from the .308 Lapua brass, and THEN trim it to .035-.050 long? I have been doing those steps the other way around (but think that may be causing me a problem).

In any case, after these steps, we have an initially formed case with a new neck partially formed from the old .308 shoulder. So most of the neck is thick (about .017" or so) and the last 1/8th" or so is left over from the old .308 neck and is thinner. And between them is a line that WAS the old .308 shoulder-neck junction. I have had a terrible time getting the final turned necks uniformly thick. If I'm shooting for a .0108" neck, the back of the neck will be that way, but the very front (near the mouth) will be a bit less...maybe .0105" and right around the junction line it might be .0100 or even a little less...measuring carefully with a ball mic. The bottom line is that these variations almost surely are enough to affect neck tension on the bullet. And I can sometimes feel noticeable differences when seating bullets. I posted earlier asking about neck turning issues, but did not put these details in.

So David, if you see where I might be going wrong, I would really appreciate the help. Also, I'm curious about what sort of chamber neck and case neck dimensions you find work best with the 30 x 44. Thanks!

I have not experienced the taper issue you are describing. But one thing may be if you are trying to turn in 1 pass. I turn all my brass, 6PPC, 30PPC, 30x44, in 2 passes. I take about 75-80% off the first turn and then to size on the second. The second turn is quite light. I am turning for .262, .332 for 30PPC, and .331 for 30x44. .0015 -.002 clearance. Those are the things that come to mind so far.

David

Back