Federal Primers...Priming Mixture Color

Joe

Is the color of the priming mixture in the 205 a different color than in the
205M?
What color for the 205 and what color for the 205M?
I have some federal primers that I need to identify
Thanks!!

Don...In 12 years shooting benchrest I've never seen any color other than pink so I assumed they were always that color. So much for assumptions!

From what I understand, and I could be wrong, there is absolutely no physical difference between the two. The only difference is that they slow down the production line a bit for the 205m's so the quality control is better on them.

I just looked

I have some Federal 205's and 205M's, I just took one out of each box,and I can not tell the difference.
I also have a few left when the "M" came in the pretty white box, They also look the same.
For what it is worth, for the past 3 years,I have been shooting the 205's that come in the blue-gray box marked "Champion". These are just regular 205's.
The new Benchrest Primers,(205M's), are in that brownish red container.
The only reason I bought the 15,000 "Match" primers is that is all that was available a while back during the big primer shortage of '07. Forced to pay 30percent more for a different colored box........jackie

Jackie,

205M's are what I have been using but they are just about impossible to get down here at the moment. I do have a small supply but have bought 1000 regular 205's to try.

I have read that they are the same as the M's, do you find they work as well as each other with no change to the load ??

FWIW I also have some older white box 205M's, some newer red box 205M's and some new blue/grey box 205's. They all have a purple colour marking and appear to be the same with the exception that the older primers have more of the colour to the point that they have stray colour on the outside of the cup as well, looks like the applicator when nuts on this batch !!

Bryce

Hmmmm

the ones that are 30+ years have a blue/green compound this years look more of a yellow.Weather time has done some thing i dont know i use the new ones.
Jim

I called Federal

but their techs are not available now. I'll call again tomorrow to ask about primer color.

BTW, and FWIW -- I believe it better to actually count the camel's teeth than to sit around and debate the number.

I'll let you know what the tell me.

Glen

but their techs are not available now. I'll call again tomorrow to ask about primer color.

I emailed them once from Australia when a 1000 lot of 210 GMs had a mixture of 2 anvil colors & 2 primer cake colors in each 100 pack. Their reply was that it was strange because the different colors came off different assembly lines.

Gave me heaps fo confidence in their product - not! :eek:

straight from Fed. sales rep

I was recently told from a Federal sales rep. That there is NO difference in the 205m or the 205 labeled as champions. He stated that 205m gets a more through inspection process. With that being the only difference. Tony

205M primers

That is what I heard a while back. That they put their most experienced workers on the 205M line. Only difference is that they get a bit more attention than the regular 205's. Personally I see no difference in them, and I will not pay extra for the 205M's.

No difference?

I was recently told from a Federal sales rep. That there is NO difference in the 205m or the 205 labeled as champions. He stated that 205m gets a more through inspection process. With that being the only difference. Tony

A few years ago I heard from several different sources that the difference between the F 205 and F 205M (and F 210 and F 210M) is that the match primers are visually inspected by a human for the presence of an anvil. No one ever explicitly said so, but presumably, they would also remove one that was obviously mangled in some way.

I was unable to verify this through official sources. Perhaps someone has a contact inside Federal's production unit who would be willing to comment on this.

Last edited:
No difference?

Here's a couple of quick pictures of a 205M, a 205 and a 205 Magnum. Are they the same? We report, you decide as they say on the tube. Pressure and velocity testing on a standardized load showed more pressure and velocity for each in the order shown as well as higher SD of presure and of velocity.

1st Picture: 205M
Federal205M_Small_Rifle21.JPG

2nd Picture: 205
Federal_205.JPG

3rd Picture: 205 Magnum (yes, they really are)
Federal205Magnum_Small_Rifle.JPG

I should add, since it was the original topic, that the colored material seen under the anvil of a primer is not the priming compound pellet itself but rather a sealer used to keep the pellet in place during manufacturing and transportation. Many years ago that function was done by a paper disc, but lacquer type sealers (colored or clear) have long since replaced paper. I notice in some imported primers that they use a metallic foil material. Some manufacturers are neater/cleaner about the sealer operation than others, but it's not too important as it combusts pretty quickly and doesn't have a material effect on the primer's performance.

German Salazar

Thanks for posting those comparisons German. Interesting to see the actual primer flash comparison when everbody else is saying the 205's do exactly the same as the 205M's.

How do CCI BR4's do in comparison to 205M's in your experience ? I have a couple of thousand BR4's also but while they worked every bit as well as a 205M at a load around 29 grains N133 they simply would not tune for me (altering powder and seating depth) at a hotter load up over 30.0 grains that was shooting well with 205M's. I assume the more densely packed powder requiring a drop tube and a slow sprinkle was to blame, just not enough flame to light it up properly in the hotter load ???

Is a BR4 just a bit cooler than a 205M by chance ??

Bryce

Last edited by a moderator:
When primer "hunting" for federal 205m I thought something is wrong
here:confused: Some have purple priming compound,some pink,some
red ??? Glad to see others have noticed this also.:D
A few years ago precision shoot magazine did an article on pictures
of flames test like the above pics and they did show differant arc's
for the 205 and the 205m and other primers,but no comparison lot to lot.
Think about it why would federal go through all that trouble to pack their
primers in special boxes rather than the primer boxes like winchester and
CCI :confused: I believe the federal priming compound is more sensative
than the other brands.
Later
John

Federal 205 vs 205M

Just an FYI for all reading this thread...Today at the range I fired my 6ppc with 30 grains of VV N133 (2007) over my chronograph..when using the Fedreal 205M primers I had a 10 shot average of 3436 fps, I then switched to the Federal 205 primers, and the average for 10 shots was 3418...I tried this several times again in 5 shot string and the results were the same..about a 18-20 fps drop in velocity with the standard 205s...All primers were 2007 mfg date....

Interesting ......... if the pics above are to be believed it would suggest that the 205 is hotter than the 205M and logically the velocity would be higher not lower. Can't argue with the test though.

How did they compare for grouping ?

Back